Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:55 PM

Default Anyone recognize this bike

I picked up this bike for 7 Franklins on Friday, the guy I bought it from said that it was owned by the guy that started a Gas Gas fourm, and was a test mule for LTR. Seems to start and run well, and has quite a bit of after market goodies Anyone recognize it? or have any information on it? I thought this year 2001 came with WP forks but this one has the Ohlins on it. I'm happy to add it to my GAS GAS collection as I never did sell my 2013 or my 2011 and am happy to still be here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new gas gas-2.jpg (89.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg new gas gas.jpg (97.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg mew gas gas-3.jpg (69.4 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg mew gas gas-1.jpg (78.9 KB, 104 views)

Old 11-26-2016, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Yes. It was the R & D bike for LT-Racing.

Les Tinius at LTR is my best friend from childhood.

I had the Canadian importer special order it with the ohlins forks in 2001. I think it was an extra $1000.

There were only two brought into north America with this config. More details to follow....

Jeff
Old 11-26-2016, 08:04 PM
Administrator

The bike is what was referred to as a "true ec".

The U.S. bikes were "XC models" or SE (special edition) - The SE was U.S. version with ohlins forks and a bunch of other stuff... (gasgasman had one of these back in the day). These had a lighter 2k2 stator and a higher compression head (sometimes).

The true ec had a 2k3 stator with more wattage and a wiring for turn signals/headlight/brake light, etc. It was the road legal euro/enduro version with turn signals removed so that it could be sold as a dirt bike in canada. The 2k3 is heavier and gives better traction in the slop - to go with that trials tire I see on the bike... ;-)

From memory and the pics - it had these items on it - Some things may have been removed along the way...
  • BRP top triple clamp with taller bar mount setting
  • Pro Taper Bars - I think they were Wyndham bend.
  • Doma Pipe.
  • LTR pipe guard - it is carbon fiber - but built much stronger than other CF pipe guards - with layers of weave - no blown in chop - very, very strong.
  • LTR case saver - protects clutch slave cylinder.
  • Clutch Master cylinder is off of a cannondale to provide greater throw - less clutch drag. Hydraulic line here is also from cannondale - stronger steel braind line.
  • Steel braid front brake line.
  • LTR power valve cover
  • LTR chain guide - it is a bracket that allows one to use a Honda XR chain guide.
  • Front fork and shock are valved by Les @ LTR - I like things compliant and weighed about 190-200 - I sold it to mike and he liked things firmer but he was also lighter than I so I think the springs are probably the same...
  • LTR radiator braces
  • YZ kick starter
  • Fastway Footpegs
  • LTR jetting
  • CRD Skid Plate (imported from france)
  • CRD Frame Guards

I sold the bike to Mike Sheetz (roostafish) here in oregon and he then sold it to someone up in washington state...

Mike Sheetz added the fastway hand guards. ...and the gasgasrider.org fender stickers. ;-)

jeff
Old 11-26-2016, 08:51 PM

Nice find!!

Speaking of LTR, I have on of those carbon pipe guards....doesnt fit my 200.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 11-26-2016, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the information about the bike, I am very happy to have came across it. The bike overall seems pretty tight still and the engine starts the first kick most times, not sure how much its been rode or raced but seems worthy of a ground up restore, just the history and added goodies, and that it is still very complete is cool. If I decide to have the engine gone through, is there a Gas Gas engine Guru you guys recommend?
Old 11-26-2016, 11:34 PM
Administrator

It was sold to Mike Sheetz in "like new" condition. Then he rode it for a while but decided to pick up a new bike to race in the ISDE qualifiers.

If it came back to my garage, and I didn't know where it had been for a while.. I might do the following...

Do rings & put in new reeds. Send the head off to RB-Designs to dial in the squish (I don't think this was ever done). And maybe have Ron @ RB-Designs do the carb too - although the jetting is pretty good.

From the looks of it - it doesn't need a complete rebuild...

The 2001 came with a clear coated plastic - and if it had alot of time on it - it would show - the clear coat looked fantastic when the bike was new - but didn't "wear well".

Oh, and by the way, I did have two throttles for it - one was a modified honda trials throttle which made it a "longer turn" and easier to ride in the tight stuff. The other was the oem quick turn throttle. I am not sure which throttle is on it.

jeff
Old 11-27-2016, 11:50 AM

Jeff, can you tell me if the bike was ever plated for the street? The guy I picked it up from had just put it back in a Oregon title, it had a WA title when he bought it, the new OR title doesn't state offroad use only.
Thanks again for all the information,
Steve.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Administrator

That makes sense.

I do recall that he was able to get it "plated" in washington state. He contacted me to get my paperwork in an attempt to get the plate - e.g. Canadian import and title paperwork, etc. He later sent me an e-mail telling me he was successful in licensing it by going to a somewhat remote dmv location.

That's a pretty good deal for you if you are able to swing it. The bike is fully wired for street use too... Just add turn signals....

jeff