Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:02 PM

Default carbon fiber pipe guard or not?

I've seen some people say that carbon fiber pipe guards transmit energy and damage other things at the expense of saving the pipe. Those arguments say that the cheap aluminum guards being more forgiving are a better choice. Would anyone care to share their thoughts and experience?
Thanks!

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)

Old 11-06-2013, 08:28 PM

A carbon guard, like a P3, would spread any force over a greater surface area than an aluminium guard, like a 1-2mm bend into place aluminium guard.
That's just as much down to the design and shape of the guard as the materials used.

You mentioned a carbon guard damaging other things?, do you mean the frame?
Perhaps, but I would imagine the pipe would fail at the mounting points before it damaged the frame. You could damage the exhaust spigot if you loaded a carbon guard up in the correct orientation. Due to pipes looping back on themselves, I imagine the pipe would bend there instead of causing damage to the cylinder.

If you hit something, the force has to go somewhere, a point load on a aluminium guard would most likely result in the guard deforming and transferring load onto the pipe, which then might deform at the point load.
If you do the same with a carbon guard, the guard is less likely to deform than aluminium, and would transfer load over a greater area on the pipe. If the load is large enough, then you can still deform the pipe without visibly damaging the guard.

Generally, I would expect carbon guards to be more prone to pipe bending, and aluminium guards to be more prone to denting. This is generally for sharp direct point loading, and based on my experiences, and your results may vary.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I've had good results with the carbon fiber guards. They do a good job of protecting against roost and small hits. But if you have a hard hit most of the time you have a damaged guard and pipe. I have to wonder if its not just as cost effective to replace the pipe when damaged. I know there is a large performance drop from carbon build up after a race season.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:07 PM

I'm just wondering if I want one just because it looks good, or should I just go with the aluminum cheapy?

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostby View Post
I'm just wondering if I want one just because it looks good, or should I just go with the aluminum cheapy?
If you are going to use a pipe guard the carbon fiber one's look the best.

However, I think a nice shiny pipe looks the best with no guard at all.

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 PM

I really shouldn't comment, but I'll throw in my .02. Never really could justify the cost in my mind. My Messico pipe is paper thin, however over the last 13 years I've only managed to send my pipe away for repair to get the dents blownout 3 times!

Most of those repairs were a result of crash in which the bike was laid down on the right side, and contact was made with a large rock, tree stump comes to mind. In most of my cases I don't think a cf guard would have save the pipe. I would have spent more money in the repair of the pipe and replacing a broken or cracked guard.

Also, since my pipe is bare metal, unprotected it would be a rusted mess.....if the guard was not removed and proper cleaning methods were not followed.

I would rather spend my money on expenable items, tires, grips, brake pads and chain and sprockets.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Check out this thread. More info.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14537

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 11-07-2013, 12:55 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I think i have said it on the other thread as well, but if you ride a lot of rocks and do not have the means to blow out a pipe often the CF guard is a better option. I have had mine for a few years now and have flipped my bike onto the rhs and had lots of smaller hits that would have really dented my pipe were it not for the CF guard.

I really doubt any hit would go far enough to give you frame damage, but do agree that after the bigger hits i have had to take the pipe off and spend a bit of time bending the neck of the pipe straight, not that difficult once you know how, but now after 3 years i think it is time to replace the pipe as it now touches the radiator hose on the right and the frame on the left (more a result of an impact through the original hyde guard) and while i am sure i could bend it back it has also got a small hole on the spring hook weld so not sure how long that will last

To be honest i am not sure if i would notice the loss of power from a dented pipe the way i ride, but i sure as hell would notice a few dents!!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:32 AM

I guess my take on it is if it prevents you from gashing the pipe and potentially ruining a trip it is money well spent.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:05 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

i am also a big fan of them, a little anecdote of one of my rides, i was going along a single track and didn't see a pointy rock sticking out on the left and klipped it with the pipe, the rock became unstuck and somehow managed to turn myself and the bike right around so we were facing the opposite direction! Pipe was still fine and finished the race - fortunately i was tired so not going very fast, but fast enough to soil myself a bit!