Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Workout day before ride??

I've been working out a lot recently. Elliptical trainer one day and lifting the next. I count riding as a workout on the weekend. Anyhow, we went riding last Friday and I was dead. Felt worn out. Do you take a day off before a ride? For a race, I usually travel on the day before so no workout day before.

Any advice? I'm planning on starting up Elliptical in A.M. and lifting in the P.M. 5 Days a week.

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F

Old 12-23-2013, 05:14 PM

Regardless of your fitness level, the body needs a periodic break from strenuous workouts. Personally, I'd take a day off between workouts & riding.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

As above. There is such a thing as over working out. The recovery phase is equally as important as the working part. Probably more so for the muscular fatigue than the cardio side of things.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/overt...#axzz2oLMQX19g
Old 12-23-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
As above. There is such a thing as over working out. The recovery phase is equally as important as the working part. Probably more so for the muscular fatigue than the cardio side of things.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/overt...#axzz2oLMQX19g

Jakobi are you following a primal lifestyle? Mark Sission has changed me from a 210lb unhealthy 48 year old to a 175lb 50 year old with more jam than I has at 25.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Nah.. Just googled a few sites, had a read, and posted up a link. Didn't read much more of his site but I might now if you recommend it.

I just live the Jake lifestyle. I guess its somewhat primal I don't do much more than try and keep myself somewhat active, and eat somewhat healthy/balanced. I'm in no way ripped, but I'm not overweight either. Not very fit, but have decent bike fitness. I only just joined the gentlmans club earlier this year (into the 30's) so just a little fish in the pond.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:30 PM

My wife says a man isn't fat...'till his belly touches first. WHEW! I'm still good
Old 12-23-2013, 09:37 PM

I do a modified paleo routine, essentially avoiding grain and legumes (including peanut butter) and any other foods I have found to be harmful to me (personally, through experimentation) like nightshades (contain glycoloids) and aged foods (cured meat and very aged cheese -- contain tyramines).

Mark Sisson is an adherent of the paleo exercize regimen as well. That is, avoiding "chronic cardio." As I get older (54 in February), I have seen the benefits of this approach.

My recovery time isn't *nearly* what it was when I was wrestling in high school and college -- it dropped off significantly after 30. In college I didn't have the luxury of a day off ("tapering"). I was either working out to keep in shape, perfect technique, or to cut that last two pounds before weigh-in.

So, pre-race, i rest two days prior to the event. I do stretching and yoga and other thing to keep my back from going out (again).
Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 PM

BAndit

my brother's an ex champion body builder - he recently set me up with a really good exercise regime, basically it's like a weight training circuit training routine.

Do 1 set of 12 reps of a weight that you can comfortably do 15 reps on.
Start on one of your muscle group (say chest), then do a different or opposing group (say legs or back).
Continue to do sets on different muscle groups for 20 mins, without a rest break. Then have a minute break, then do another 20 mins. if you find it easy, just increase the weight.
Basically you are 'bouncing' the blood around your body to create the cardio impact.

You can do this 5 days a week as it maintains muscle mass and cardio fitness. It doesn't tend to build bulk though. (so ignore this is if thats what you want)

I'd still miss a day before riding - but you could do it the day after.

Personally I have found this to be a great way of training with limited time.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

That is close to what I've been doing. I have about 8 exercises I do 3 sets of 12 "8 count" reps on my Bowflex. Chest, Bi Ceps, Tri Ceps, Lats, Rows, etc....I rest for 1 min after a complete set. I increase weight after each set so that I can still finish, but the last few reps of the last set are not easy. It ends up being a 45 min workout.

On the Elliptical, been doing 45 min Fat Burn program at 65 to 75% Of Max Heart Rate. Before I got this new Elliptical with a HR monitor, I was going way too high of a heart rate, I didn't know any better. Ha doing this 65-75% thing has been easy!!!

I've been sick since New Years, Sinus Infection turned into Bronchitis, so I've laid off working out lately. My cough is slowing down so hopefully I can get back at it here in the next few days. I have lost 18 lbs since June, so I'm anxious to get back at it. 34lbs left to my goal of 195.

My plan is to go a few weeks back like before. Elliptical one day then Lift the next. Then try M-F of Elliptical in the am and Lift in the evening. Take off Sat, ride or race Sunday. See what happens....

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I walk by my eliptical trainer EVERY day.