Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:27 PM

Default Stuck front brake pin

I was going over my new to me 2010 EC300 and was going to replace the allen brake pins with the good ones you can put a wrench or socket on but I am too late for the front one. Before it was totally stripped I pounded hard with an impact wrench, nothing doing.
Any suggestions? I don't have a welder and the JB weld trick won't work if the beating it took from the impact driver didn't loosen it. Any advice appreciated.
Trailrider

Old 04-25-2018, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Try applying a little heat to the area around the head of the bolt.
If the Allen head strips, you can use a torx bit to remove the bolt.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

I've been through this a few times.

If the usual heat/shocking tricks don't work you can either have it milled out, or just go and find a whole new caliper....

One thing to double check, and something you should do before you start applying more force is to check the bottom edge of the caliper. It's easy to whack it against a rock and essentially it peens the edge of the caliper over the pin.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:37 PM

Yep been there ! , I ended up drilling the index bit off the top of the pin, be careful though ! keep the drill straight , worked fine!
Old 04-25-2018, 09:20 PM

Clamp a set of Vise Grip pliers onto the pin where the pads slide on the pin. Turn the Vise Grips while turning the Allen head if there's anything left of the head, if not the Vise Grips should work alone if you can clamp them tight enough. I know that this will work as I have done it in the past.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Clamp a set of Vise Grip pliers onto the pin where the pads slide on the pin. Turn the Vise Grips while turning the Allen head if there's anything left of the head, if not the Vise Grips should work alone if you can clamp them tight enough. I know that this will work as I have done it in the past.
This works if the torch bit won?t. Don?t forget to use heat, it works wonders!
Old 04-26-2018, 02:36 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
And to get at it with the wise grips, cut it off with a hacksaw so that you can get rid of the pads. But make sure to leave enough to clamp the wisegrips

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 04-26-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
And to get at it with the wise grips, cut it off with a hacksaw so that you can get rid of the pads. But make sure to leave enough to clamp the wisegrips
Actually it is best to split the "loops" of the pads to remove them if necessary and leave the pin intact. Normally pad removal is not needed.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:01 AM

Default stuck front brake pin.

When all else fails, take it to a mechanic. That pin was so tight he broke the pin when it was in the vise. Several different size drill bits later, he pounded a torx drive into what was left of the threads. This brought out the rest of the threads. Slathered some anti seize on a new pin with a bolt head, new pads, ready to go. Antiseize is your friend.