Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Announcements

Enduro Product Announcements Announce new gasgas enduro products here - Vendors Welcome...

Old 04-30-2014, 12:59 PM

Default 23 ounce flywheel weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper View Post

For those of you having some clearence issues with these 23 ounce flywheel weights,if it was me Id fire that baby up and use a quality file that can be cleaned and turn that flywheel and nut down,starting with the nut,and then knocking that sharp edge down,and finishing with a face cut if you had too.The bike is your lathe.
This is exactly what I did !!!!

But I really want to use my Ransom Machine Works AL cover. But I need to have about 1mm machined out of the inside in order to clear the old S3 weight. Just need to find me a local machine shop.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJohnson View Post
This is exactly what I did !!!!

But I really want to use my Ransom Machine Works AL cover. But I need to have about 1mm machined out of the inside in order to clear the old S3 weight. Just need to find me a local machine shop.

Now why did you lay that pretty thing in the dirt??
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Old 04-30-2014, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
For those of you having some clearence issues with these 23 ounce flywheel weights,if it was me Id fire that baby up and use a quality file that can be cleaned and turn that flywheel and nut down,starting with the nut,and then knocking that sharp edge down,and finishing with a face cut if you had too.The bike is your lathe.
I wouldn't take any off the weight without having a shop do it or if you have experience. These are balanced from the factory and it wouldn't take much to un-balance it with a home made file job. Then your looking at more serious issues like blowing crank bearings. The nut wouldn't be so much of an issue to take a little off.

Last edited by desertgasser300; 05-02-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Banned

The flywheel weight is made out of mild steel or a soft alloy.It mills very easily.As far as doing the work in place it depends on skill ,tools and comfort level.
If you want to get technical machining wise,milling the weight down a little in place on the axis it actually spins on will be more precise weight distribution wise then milling it down on a lathe and bolting it on,keeping in mind you are simply cleaning it up a bit as opposed to true tooling work.Its easy,we have done it alot.Not for clearance purposes but to get the weight exactly how we want it.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
I wouldn't take any off the weight without having a shop do it or if you have experience. These are balanced from the factory and it wouldn't take much to un-balance it with a home made file job. Then your looking at more serious issues like blowing crank bearings. The nut would be so much of an issue to take a little off.
Agree. I only took a little bit off the nut as I did not want to install 4 gaskets....
Old 05-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJohnson View Post
Agree. I only took a little bit off the nut as I did not want to install 4 gaskets....
Its tricky,no doubt.Some sketch hoping you don't get you or the tool sucked up into the case,or your face or maybe into the wall or maybe a random person.We also drill to shave weight.Taking the corner off is easy enough,and will not change the balance at all.The nut can be taken down in a different manner.

Stu,have you any idea how much thread you have left before you reach the bottom where the flywheel seats on the crank.And how much material you have left in the flywheel.Might be easier to take down the recessed area where the nut and washer seat against the flywheel.

Kill two birds with one stone,after looking at the pictures seems you guys are getting between 1/2 and 3/4 thread on that nut with some nut sticking out past the face of the flywheel.Follow?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:40 PM

I figured it wouldn't be right if this topic wasn't on the board at least once a day.... :-)

Thank you for the input and ideas I am gone this weekend but will get back to you on Sunday with some dimensions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Banned

That's kinda funny,considering the love I have for this weight.

Theres gonna be a "how to weight your clutch basket" thread coming soon.Im fishin all the time but when I get a chance to build this 200 engine Ill be putting some weight in the basket,and have some pictures and blow by blows and such.Its very effective on the small bore woods racers when done properly.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:19 PM

I finally had time to get a photo today... I don't know that this looks any different, but I still don't think that it touches the inside of the stator cover at all....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140503_133918[1].jpg (116.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-03-2014, 08:03 PM

If it's touching you want to look at the outboard side where the flywheel nut is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk