Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Announcements

Enduro Product Announcements Announce new gasgas enduro products here - Vendors Welcome...

Old 06-22-2013, 02:18 PM

I also purchsed one of these for my 300. I wanted to see if it softened the hit when the power valve opened. I now have about 200 miles of riding with it including dry hard clay/rock, mud and water, and perfect sand. Overall I liked it. It controlled the hit somewhat and I did not notice any other negatives. I have a Rekluse so the stalling was not an issue before. Response to clutch was still good. Now the good news. I thought since it was taming the hit I would try lower 13 -50 gearing. I tried this gearing once before but in the slick hard rocks I would regularly get more wheel spin than with the 13-48. So anyway. With the weight the 13-50 really worked well. Put the Map switch to sum mode and it really responded smoothly to the clutch. In the rain mode sayed very smooth and linear. I run a Suzuki needle for reference. So was it in my head or was it real? Average Speed on my 20 mile loop 17.7. Fastest I have ever had before 17.3; today was not ideal traction (but ok) and everything is really green hampering visual lead. I think the rearing gave me the speed but the flywheel let me use the gearing. I recomend if you ride where traction is not ideal.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Just ordered one. Sounds like exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I can't imagine anything that heavy. I can see it in Europe though, where a lot of guys grow up on trials bikes.
Actually the exact opposite. You want instant throttle response on a trials bike. Any delay can really screw you up.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:22 PM

Still one of the best mods on my bike!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ud_luz View Post
Actually the exact opposite. You want instant throttle response on a trials bike. Any delay can really screw you up.
don't they rev it first and then snap the clutch to get instant power?
trial bike have a heavy flywheel indeed (as far as i know).

Hannes.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannesd View Post
don't they rev it first and then snap the clutch to get instant power?
trial bike have a heavy flywheel indeed (as far as i know).

Hannes.
Correct.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:46 PM

For the displacement the flywheel, at least in my Montesa, is smaller than most enduros.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
For the displacement the flywheel, at least in my Montesa, is smaller than most enduros.
Also correct.

The trials bike engine internalizes a lot of the crank effect in the crank itself.Coupled with a bore and stroke designed to rev quickly and smoothly just off idle.They don't rev really.Very low rpm in comparison to moto or modern enduro/offroad racing 2 stroke engines.

Its about torque.
The old trials bikes did have monster flywheels.

The thought I had after reading through the thread.How much weight can the engine handle out on the end of the crank.23 ounces is a lot of weight out there for an engine that is designed to really spool it up.

Bearing,case wise.What's to much?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper View Post
Also correct.

The trials bike engine internalizes a lot of the crank effect in the crank itself.Coupled with a bore and stroke designed to rev quickly and smoothly just off idle.They don't rev really.Very low rpm in comparison to moto or modern enduro/offroad racing 2 stroke engines.

Its about torque.
The old trials bikes did have monster flywheels.

The thought I had after reading through the thread.How much weight can the engine handle out on the end of the crank.23 ounces is a lot of weight out there for an engine that is designed to really spool it up.

Bearing,case wise.What's to much?
I would think if it's correctly balanced the additional weight shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
I would think if it's correctly balanced the additional weight shouldn't be an issue.
Same rider who adds 23 ounces of flywheel weight to the bike isn't gonna be a guy that keeps it spooled up all day.Its a riding style modification.Some relief their to the added stresses to the original engine design.

If I was contemplating that mod,I would cross reference main bearings and rod bearing sizes between a trials bike engine with approximate cc as what I was modifying.

Factor in the trials bike is much lighter.And is designed to run at a lower rpm with an intake,exhaust and electrical system designed for smooth almost electric acceleration and decceleration.There is no hit and the engine will only rev so high.

There is a cutoff somewhere to how much weight you can add and still expect the lower end to hold up.