Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:30 PM

Default Gonna try a race this weekend....Monkey Wrench!

Bought my bike in May of 2012, a 2005 EC300. First bike I have ever owned, now I am 42 years old.
Been riding hard and pushing myself; I ride with 2 buddies that ride really fast, and race, so it is keep-up-or-die trying. Well, I am still alive, nothing broken on me (bike is a little twisted and mangled, but hey, thats what a 1st bike is for, right?)
I'm gonna try the Monkey Wrench, near Lytton, BC.
We just rode some of the Monkey Wrench trails today, not the actual race course loop, but 52km of trails that intersect and come near the area. Good gnarly rocks and roots, pounded myself pretty good.
Bike is running decently well enough, I played with the suspension clickers a bit today. Jetting is a bit off, riding an elevation of 1225m (4000ft) to 2130m (7000ft), and the temperature is supposed to hit 40C (100F) by the weekend.

Bring it on!!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:42 PM

Sounds like a tough first race. Drink a big bottle of pedialyte the morning of the race for hydration and to prevent cramping during and after the race.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2015, 10:43 PM

Oh and Good Luck! We expect to read a race report and see some pictures

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2015, 07:13 PM

I'll try and get some photos or video up in the next coupla days......

Hot. Effin' smokin' hot. 40Celsius. I drank water til my stomach sloshed, then drank more. It worked, cuz I didn't cramp up or armpump, felt pretty good.

Got a good start, stayed way left on the starting hill and found some grass for traction. Tucked into the trail about midpack, instantly driving blind from the clouds of dust getting churned up. As a newbie at this, it was a little disconcerting.
Had to stop at the first tight uphill, with a bottleneck of about 20 riders all waiting to go up. With all the clutching, and not going anywhere in the 40C heat, when I finally hit the hill I had steam coming out of the overflow on the rad, so I pulled 'er off to the side and let er cool down. Lost a lot of positions and time, but whatever.
Rode crappy for the first 45 minutes, no excuses, blowing corners wide, just plain screwing up, couldnt find the groove. Then I started riding tight, found a rhythm, got past 4-5 people, finished the log sections clean at the end of the loop. Missed the cutoff time for a 2nd loop by 4 minutes, but I don't think my body had another 1.5 hours in me......
Bike ran great (besides the boilover, 1st time ever for that). The NEDW needle dropped to 2nd clip worked wicked, the power was hittin from bottom to top. Now I just gotta do my part and learn how to ride!!!!!
I'll do it again next year. Great event, 30th annual race, lots of donations made to the Children's Hospital, good showing on the podium by the local RezRiders from Lytton.