Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 06-23-2013, 06:52 PM

I rode my brother's new TXC310 today, and I was shocked how much I liked it. Its lighter than my GG and feels it. Makes very good power and hooks up great. It has the typical stroke flame out habit but a lot of this is rider error and not being used to the bike. Even then its a two kick restart or the button of course. I just can't get past how tiny that motor is. I don't think I'd want one due to the uncertainty with the company but what a bang for the buck. Even got Jersey tag.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Administrator

The newer husky 310 has a slightly longer stroke than the sherco 300 - so they did it right as well - even though that motor has no future in the new world order - seems like they will be red ktms with husqvarna stickers available at the tail end of the year.

And I agree with you on the company. The announcements say that parts will be available for the older huskies - I still have my husky txc510 and I am a bit worried - if all else fails - ebay is your friend for bikes parting out, etc.

jeff
Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Hey guys, I've got a mate who has an 11 yzf450 and I've ridden it quite a few times, it's stock apart from a small shim shuffle up front and a play with the yamtuner. It has very strong snatchy lower down power and heaps everywhere. The offset crank is to blame, and it's grip, it just hooks up everywhere, it seems to have a longer swingarm (though it could be an illusion), its an acquired taste, but in its refined form for 2014, it could be a great 250 wth good snappy bottom end ( if the offset crank has the same effect) and great grip. I'd think you'd have to be pretty quick to reach any steering issue from my experience. I'm vv interested to see how they shape up also. Btw the yz450 has over 200 hrs and all he's replaced is a broken clutch cable ( faulty). Cheers.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 06-24-2013, 08:24 AM

I think all EFI 4strokes have that snatchy "digital" feel to them to a point, very non-linear off idle. The 450s just make it a lot more noticable. If you understand exactly how the EFI works, including the map(fuel and timing matrix), and the system allows for it, it can be tuned out to an extent. You can even tune out some of the compression braking if the system is flexible enough, I've done it on a 440 Cannondale. The Husky is bone stock and still a little tight so it will only get better. They just don't like to run below a certain RPM and once you accept this as a priority and ride the bike in a lower gear with the revs higher rather than torquing it through the rocks, its much better. We were on some pretty nasty technical trail yesterday with difficult climbs so on more moderate terrain it will be much less of an issue. Once past the off idle range the power is very effective. His bike was set up a little weird for me but with a few basic adjustments and a few more miles of acclimation I think I could go pretty well on it. The KYB suspension is not to far off and the bike turns very well. I hope it holds up and he can get parts for it in the future. If the Sherco has the EFI smoothed out on the bottom it will be even easier to ride, but a lot more $$.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:44 PM

First ride review posted now:

http://www.enduro360.com/2013/06/24/...ce-first-ride/

Old 06-24-2013, 02:47 PM

Sounds pretty nice to me, like it has the minor Husky quirks like flame outs and tall seat addressed. I like the smaller feel of the older GGs and this sounds like it. I find it hard to beleive that you can't twist the spring on a clean shock like any bike to adjust the preload, there has to be a way to loosen the lock ring. No kicker takes a bit to get used to. For such an expensive bike, I think they should spec the closed chamber fork though. So far so good, now lets see how parts are distributed and how much they cost.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Hey Glenn,
Here is a post from Clay on how he will handle parts - he has a large stock of parts and a spare bike - will drop ship/sell direct to customers and pay dealer commission.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...8&postcount=22

For a low volume bike - sounds ideal. It would be nice if he would put together a spreadsheet with some typical parts prices so no one gets the shock of their life. e.g. A broken shifter shouldn't require me to draw on my home equity credit line!

jeff
Old 06-24-2013, 06:05 PM

Very good review Chilly. The Sherco will most likely be my next bike . I'm 5'7" and like the smaller bikes myself.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:45 PM

Jeff,

I remembered that after I posted. Sounds like a good plan that makes sense. I'd like to know prices of stuff like valves, pistons in addition to crash and wear parts like plastic and controls. Ever see prices on KTM 4stroke engine parts? It's staggering compared to a Yamaha, which is more reliable anyway. Even if I liked the orange bike(I don't) parts prices would rule it out completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-24-2013, 10:47 PM

I'm very interested in this bike.. would be a nice addition to the garage.. even if I dump the ktm 450 I think this may be a good replacement? something a touch smaller, lighter and that handles?
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone