Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:12 PM

That's a very nice older bike. I'd say go for it. It reminds me of the condition mine was in when I picked it up. My 00' has been a great bike for me.

16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200

Old 03-06-2014, 06:10 PM

Good bike. I think you would be happy with it. I would say that I would tend to pay 3500 for some of the used 2011 I see before I would pay 2200 for an 2002. I have both a 2005 and 2011 and the 11 is just more refined. But if you only have 2200 you will get that out of it no problem.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 PM

I would rather pay $3500 for a 2011, if I could find one.

However, I rode the bike today and was pleasantly surprised how light the bike felt. I ride a ktm 450, and haven't ridden a two stroke since my husky 400 cross many, many many moons ago.

The bike is nimble and direct with commands. The bike has weight added to the flywheel??? The bike could lug at low rpm but had no "real" power until past mid range in the rpm.

If I buy this 2002 bike I would need to address the way the power valve hits. I would want a more linear power from low, mid and high rpm. If this is even possible, I don't know?

Also a recluse is a must for me, not sure they make one for this old of a rare "ish" bike?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:49 PM

Jetting and getting the play out of the powervalve will get it linear. You can get a Rekluse for it. I have an original Z Start that I bought used for the 05.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 AM

Ive been reading about power valves and carb tuning, i am officially dangerous now.

From what i have read, and my tiny brain trying to make sense of it, i think i might know what i want??

I want the power to be instant, even at part throttle. But i also want the better throttle control (G2) to manage the power easy, like a four stroke.

Am I on the right thought process?
Old 03-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skininzipper View Post
Ive been reading about power valves and carb tuning, i am officially dangerous now.

From what i have read, and my tiny brain trying to make sense of it, i think i might know what i want??

I want the power to be instant, even at part throttle. But i also want the better throttle control (G2) to manage the power easy, like a four stroke.

It looks like you are on the right path. Needle selection and jetting experimentation should get you in the right direction. However, from what I have read (and experienced) you won't get that "four stroke feeling" as there is the inherent two stroke nature. In the end, you will have a great bike that does exactly what you want it to do. The chassis is well balanced and you can set it up to handle any way you want.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:

I have just the type of power delivery you are looking for on my 250. It used to be explosive (very jerky) but not very strong off idle up to midrange. I installed a NEDW carb needle - now it will pull stumps. It powers away from idle like a trials bike (very controllable and very strong). Top end still winds out fairly well but the mid range was a tad flat with this needle until I switched to a RB modified cylinder head. Much better now.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:33 PM

Thank you for all the help guys! The seller sent me a text offering the bike for 2k. I think I am going to offer him 1800 tomorrow.

Is there a vendor section on this forum?

I need jets, needle, power valve spacer and a recluse. Stabilizer would be nice too, oh lord I spending more on modifications then I am the bike
Old 03-09-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all the help guys! The seller sent me a text offering the bike for 2k. I think I am going to offer him 1800 tomorrow.

Is there a vendor section on this forum?

I need jets, needle, power valve spacer and a recluse. Stabilizer would be nice too, oh lord I spending more on modifications then I am the bike
Ride it first more than once....then decide which direction to proceed.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Ride it first more than once....then decide which direction to proceed.
DITTO
Picked up a cherry 02' 250 for my son couple years ago for $1500, of course he wanted all kinds of goodies. After riding it a couple times we realized jetting was spot on so I threw some good Pirelli's on it, the biggest flywheel I could find, pipe and rad. guards, changed out suspension oils, dialed in the clickers and sag and he's been lovin' it ever since.
Must say I don't mind at all when he wants to switch bikes with Dad!
Moto Farm motor and suspension service 309 310 2540 leave a message
www.halls-cycles.com