Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Jetting Verdict

Jetted the bike today. Stock setup was rich with a NE1F in middle position, main at 175, and pilot at 42. Temps are 80-90?F, humid at 800ft. Bike is a ec300r, air screw 3.5 out.

I moved the clip up one, so 2 from the top. Left main at 175. Changed the pilot to 38. Power is greatly improved and smoother. Some spooge still but also much better. Air screw is 1.5 out. Here is a video of what the new settings sound like.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-t_yjNEYVs

So if anyone can hear it good enough to gauge whether or not the bike is in the ballpark. I know I'll have to watch the plug and spooge to know for sure. The only other jets I have are a CHN needle. Mains in 115, 172, 175, 178. Pilots in 35, 38, 42. I am good with things that have set measurements and methods, but not things that are subjective to interpretation. Thanks for your time and any input.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds good on the pipe, but still fat off the bottom. Others have said it before though, its all in that needle (its no good!).

The CHN is way too lean and meant to be used with a restricted airbox and other bits and pieces to pass regulations. No good either!

At small throttle you want the bike to just pull nice and clean with a load on it, and blubber slightly if coasting along.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Time to hit rockymountainatv.com (or your favorite supplier) and order some needles amigo; I just ordered 3 to try and get the 200 sorted. After reading several pages on KTMtalk, I learned the NOZx needle isn't that great to go with, so I'm trying a couple of Suzuki needles - want the power to be nice and linear since this is my wife's 200.

If she's fat off the bottom, go down one on the pilot and try a different needle?
Old 05-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

NOZx is the same taper profile as the stock N1Ex (half clip variant). They both have a really short straight section (small scope to actually set the idle), and then come into a super rich taper. The only way to lean this lower throttle area is by lifting the clip, but that then results in a lean mid range. You either live with the richness off idle (which grunts down well but uses a lot of fuel and spooges), or change to a different taper profile.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:28 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I rode it hard sunday and am really happy with the top end, it screams. The low end is way better but comparing to the top I think i can read it better now that I know how smooth the power should feel. The spooge is way better, must of been a ton in there to blow out because after 2 hours it was almost stopped.

So to clean up the bottom I was reading that NEDJ and NEDW are smooth delivering power, which I think I want. If I want a hit of power I'll just ring it, it's a 300 lol.

So which of those or any others would you recomend? How will those needles change the rest of the jetting? Should I pick up any other jets with those? Sorry I know there are charts, I just can't wrap my head around it all just yet and I value your guy's opinion. Forgot to mention the airbox is all sealed so she is choked a little but still seems fine enough.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buysomerice View Post
So to clean up the bottom I was reading that NEDJ and NEDW are smooth delivering power, which I think I want. If I want a hit of power I'll just ring it, it's a 300 lol.
I'm not sure what the cross-over is, but when I had my orange 300 I went through several iterations on needles and ended up settling on a N3CH. Combined with a 38 pilot in that bike, it was spot on all the way up to 6k feet with tweaks to the a/s.

I don't know anything about the NEDJ and NEDW needles - hoping Jake chimes in.

Last edited by liv2day; 05-20-2014 at 11:08 AM. Reason: wrong pilot size listed...doh
Old 05-19-2014, 07:17 PM

jakobi had recommended a NEDJ to me a while back when i enquired about similar bike. I picked one up and Love it. usually in second clip with 42 pilot and 175 main. chugga chug like a tractor and still rips nice when you wish. its a bit rich maybe but i enjoy some safety. plan to try 40p and clip 3 when my wrist is healed
Old 05-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Yep! Good choice it is. I'm running 40 NEDW#2 172 in my 2013 250R

Usually I'd recommend a W for a 250 and J for 300, but every bike, fuel, rider, location is a bit different.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:10 PM

Alright sounds good. I just didnt know if changing to the NEDJ would affect the pilot and main, I know they can to an extent but I should still be in the ballpark. I will pick up a 40p since I have a gap from 38-42, leave me some richining room for next winter if anything. Thanks all!
Old 05-20-2014, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

It will need a different pilot to the F in theory, but in practice your bike probably isn't set to be on the short straight section of the stock needle, and is also clearly rich off the bottom. J/42 combo is going to be close.