Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM

Post Clutch Fluid Help

I'm a new gaser owner - 03 EC 200. I love the power!!! Love the Bike! I recently noticed that the clutch fluid was really low in the master chlinder resiviour (sorry for spelling) so I went to the local Yamaha store and they ordered mineral oil for me. The tech said that's what their crossover book called for even though I distinctly remember dot 4 on the res cover. Well sure enough when I got home and rechecked it was dot 4 on the cover... So now I guess I'm pretty confused. What should I use??? Any help much appreciated!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Use the Dot 4 brake fluid.
Don't mix the mineral oil and brake fluid.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 PM

Red face

That's what I thought and so here's the rest of the story. I bought my 15 year old son a KTM same year 125 and his calls for mineral oil on the res cap. He likes to maintain the bikes and put mineral oil in both bikes while I was out with his mom. When I he told me, I extracted the mineral oil out of my gaser res tank with a syringe. I have not ridden the bike since this happened yesterday but my son said he did pump the clutch about twenty times befor I extracted... Am I screwed??? And how much damage is done if so? Thanks guys for the help!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgaser View Post
That's what I thought and so here's the rest of the story. I bought my 15 year old son a KTM same year 125 and his calls for mineral oil on the res cap. He likes to maintain the bikes and put mineral oil in both bikes while I was out with his mom. When I he told me, I extracted the mineral oil out of my gaser res tank with a syringe. I have not ridden the bike since this happened yesterday but my son said he did pump the clutch about twenty times befor I extracted... Am I screwed??? And how much damage is done if so? Thanks guys for the help!
Long story short, the seals are probably buggered due to being in contact with the mineral oil. I would order a master cylinder rebuild kit and keep it handy for when the seals start to leak, which they will.

Later model clutch master cylinders to use mineral oil like ktm.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 AM

Question

Ok I'll order a kit. Can anyone tell me which kit for this bike or where to find them? I did a quick search on the Internet and they appear hard to find and the info is vague on whether or not they'll fit my 03 EC200. Also am I in danger of any damage to any other seals within the bikes engine or clutch system beyond the master cylinder? Lastly I saw a few master cylinder assemblies on eBay for my year of gaser. Would a new/used assembly (lever, resiviour, banjo bolt assembly) be a good fix too? Do I have to replace seals down by the motor as well (slave seals???) or other components. As you all can see I'm not a mechanical genius when it comes to bikes. But I'm learning... Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:19 AM

If he just added oil to the resevoir and did not purge it through the system it may not be a problem at all. Clean up the rubber resevoir bladder real well, this will swell and become unusable if in contact with oil. You can get a kit for the newer ('05+) GGs that used oil in the same AJP clutch systems. Also get the bladder for the master cyl. and the slave o-ring. You could also get a new Magura master if you like. Everything else is isolated so no problem. Also, "mineral oil" is a misunderstood term. It means "petroleum", and any petroleum base fork oil, hydraulic jack oil, even ATF will work fine. This is true for Magura stuff as well.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:43 PM

Read the tip in the cap. In any case, apply the rule below:

Green gasket >> Mineral
Black gasket >> DOT
Brasil!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:16 PM

Thumbs up

I've already ordered the slave cylinder rebuild gasket kit... GMP, I'm listening but not sure if some of the mineral oil worked its way down into the line and will eventually ruin the seals in the slave. Wouldn't my son's pumping on the clutch over and over like he did after filling the res with min oil purge some of the oil down toward the slave..? So I'm changing it to be safe. $46 for the slave rebuild kit, just a few rubber gaskets ouch! AND no AJP master cylinder rebuild kits on the market anywhere to boot! I spent all day looking and calling every dealer out there. I found out that AJP is out of business too, as of a month and a half ago all of their rebuild kits are on back order. The big gas gas distributor in MN said that there are rumors that someone may buy the rights to the AJP line and start it up again... if not I'm SOL and have to change out the clutch assembly to another manufacturer, starts at $240!!! Does anyone know of a cheaper way to do this..? I just bought this darn thing and already I can't find parts ugh! Can anyone recommend a used clutch assembly I can convert over to that will fit my 03 gaser EC 200? Thanks guys... This is a great forum, so glad I found this site!!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:55 PM

First, the master cyl only displaces approx 10cc, so its unlikely that oil made its way down to the slave. Second, there is only one simple o-ring on the slave piston, the second oring seals the slave to the cases and sees no hydraulic pressure. You could by a bag of 100 o-rings for ten time less than your paying for one. Third, you could look for an AJP from a GG part out or a Magura from a KTM part out. The guys here with the new bikes can tell you the exact size in displacement of the Magura to look for. A Magura is the best option now considering the questionable future of AJP parts.

I would flush the AJP out good with brake fluid ASAP and see if its OK. If the piston cup seal swells you will know by the lever feel.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM

OK, I'm to that point... I would like to change out the clutch system because it is impossible to find GG parts for this AJP clutch- Where do you suggest I post a forum request to the new bike owners you speak of to get exact size in displacement of the Magura swap out for my 03 gaser EC200? Thanks!

Tags
clutch, fluid, master cylinder