Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:35 AM

Default 2010 EC 300 130mile report

I have had a 2001 EC 300 for some time and really liked it. Often thought if it had Estart it would be perfect.

I did buy a new 2010 EC 300 however. Sent the Carb to RB Designs before even riding so I don't know what difference it made. I was nervous because everyone talking about the Sach's suspension and how bad it was. And lastly I have an FMF Q stelth on...everything else is stock.

Rode at St.Joes riding park 2000 acre riding park in Missouri with a bunch of friends. I was a little dismayed that it lacked the low end torque of my 01 (which btw has a 13T front, LTR power valve cover, FWW, Gnarly pipe, and a shorter silencer)...go figure.

When I got used to first gear being between 1st and 2nd on the 01 and actually used the gear since it was useless on the 01, and in my head saying I shouldn't be using first things got much better.

The bike has enough lug to do most things although I am going to try to get some more for my lazy style, but when it comes on the pipe it really scoots. The thing that I really ended up liking the most is that there was much less vibration, and the suspension was just really nice (210 plus gear). St.Joes has a ton of loose 3-6" lava style rocks and there was just a real low deflection to the ride at speed. Things that I would be nervous going through I would just gas it and it would track really really well. I would imagine if I put a stabilzer on my 01 it would be similar...maybe. I found that I could pick a line and just get it everytime...very good in the confidence inspiring department. I just got faster over the 3 days where normally you just get wore down progressively.

For a few reasons I wished I hadn't bought my 2010 but after riding it I am really glad I did. Few things I am going to still do is the Head mod by RB Designs, and try out my LTR power valve cover from my 01. I really like riding in 2nd having the lug to do what I need then blast away when I get the chance instead of changing 1-2-1 back to technical. I also have a 50T sprocket...who knows where I will land on that.

Overall I normally don't think it smart to buy a new dirt bike but the new GasGas has me being a believer all over again. The chasis just works great in the woods. I have ridden recently 09KFX 450 kinda worked over, 08KTM 450 EXC, 05WR 450, 09 KX 450 rekluse, 06YZ250F with FWW and pipe, 01/04 GG 300, 05 GG 250, and a 450X. I have not riden one of the newer KTM 300's but I would assume my rear suspension would work better over a wider range of stuff having the linkage. I would not say it if I didn't believe it but I really think this may be the best woods/trail bike out there. It is quiet when you want it to be, rides light, fast when you need it, and the chasis works real well.

Got a squeal I am still tracking down that is NOT the clutch...at least I am pretty sure it is not. I am pretty sure it is the pipe springs that attach to the cylinder. Perhaps some RTV or something...sure is annoying though. That is about the only thing that I could complain about. The stock grips which I thought looked like crap actually performed pretty well...glad I didn't cut them off yet. The tires that people say are crap work well at 12 in the front 9 in the rear...at least for now. I have a Michelin S12 just sitting there in the shrink wrap when this is done.

If you are on the fence about getting the bike or not...I can't recommend it enough. I am cheap, but don't mind paying for something nice. This is really something nice.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgiven View Post
I would not say it if I didn't believe it but I really think this may be the best woods/trail bike out there. It is quiet when you want it to be, rides light, fast when you need it, and the chasis works real well.

If you are on the fence about getting the bike or not...I can't recommend it enough. I am cheap, but don't mind paying for something nice. This is really something nice.
Ride report for speed readers. Glad you're enjoying the new scoot!
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 05-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Good report,thanks.
Pretty happy with my 2010 as well.Thanks for the feed back on the power valve cover.I have one in my toolbox which I have been considering putting on but won't bother now.The JD jetting kit made a big difference & a 43 sprocket actually is working out well.The forks have been serviced & the oil level a bit higher but thats it.
The stock rear tyre went after a few rides but the front has been good with little sign of wear.They have both been replaced with Perelli scorpions now.
Still haven't got my sag setting right yet.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:18 AM

Nice ride report from another "frugal rider" like myself.. I'm really thinking of a new 250 or 300,, once I get over the current financial issues..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 05-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg3 View Post
Good report,thanks.
Pretty happy with my 2010 as well.Thanks for the feed back on the power valve cover.I have one in my toolbox which I have been considering putting on but won't bother now.The JD jetting kit made a big difference & a 43 sprocket actually is working out well.The forks have been serviced & the oil level a bit higher but thats it.
The stock rear tyre went after a few rides but the front has been good with little sign of wear.They have both been replaced with Perelli scorpions now.
Still haven't got my sag setting right yet.
Likewise. Loving my 2010. Jetted nicely. Still running the orginal chain and sprockets. On my 2nd rear but still running the stock front. Its held up well, as is the Geomaxx MX51. I think I'll be running these front and back at next change.

Tell me more about this 13/43 gearing. I'd imagine that would be too tall for the rocky rooty red clay goat trails I like to ride. At the moment with 13/48 I find myself riding with a finger on the clutch. 1st feels a bit short to be used when hammering on the throttle, but 2nd feels a bit tall to lugg. Was considering a 49/50 rear to allow me to use 2nd a bit more, while still saving 1st for the snottiest of snotties.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

sorry, meant 46.Has made 1st more usable,doesn't tend to pull into the higher revs & spin up as quick.Has made it easier to ride slippery & tight stuff & keep the momentum up.
I nearly put MX51 geomax's on but couldn't find alot of feed back on them.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Site Sponsor

46 really? what happens on the big hill climbs?

i like the mx31 over the mx51... the front's last pretty well, the rear wears as expected, and doesn't lose traction unpredictably like the s12. since i've switched from 200 to 300, i've noticed the 300 really eats the soft terrain tires...

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 05-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have started using the mx51. I liked the maxxis SI for our sandy stuff here in houston and the national forest, but the power of the 300 will rip the knobs right off on hard pack or roads also where I ride at skull creek. the 51 gives good hook-up in the sand and seem to survive the power on the hard pack. I have been running the 51 in the rear and a sand tire in the front on both my KTM and GG. A buddy of mine that rides B on a yz450 talked me into trying this setup so it doesn't just work well for 53yr old slugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg3 View Post
sorry, meant 46.Has made 1st more usable,doesn't tend to pull into the higher revs & spin up as quick.Has made it easier to ride slippery & tight stuff & keep the momentum up.
I nearly put MX51 geomax's on but couldn't find alot of feed back on them.
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgranger View Post
I have started using the mx51. I liked the maxxis SI for our sandy stuff here in houston and the national forest, but the power of the 300 will rip the knobs right off on hard pack or roads also where I ride at skull creek. the 51 gives good hook-up in the sand and seem to survive the power on the hard pack. I have been running the 51 in the rear and a sand tire in the front on both my KTM and GG. A buddy of mine that rides B on a yz450 talked me into trying this setup so it doesn't just work well for 53yr old slugs.
I have been stoked with the MX51 rear. It doesn't last like iron, but does hook up well in most conditions, and continues to do so even when worn.

I have read a few reports indicating the MX51 front is poop, so not sure if I'll be purhcasing one. Have been pretty happy with the Michelin Comp 3 FIM stocker. Might consider trying an S12 or a Pirelli MT32 on the front. Apparently they're the goods.