Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:01 PM

Perhaps the master is not working correctly? Maybe bypassing some fluid so you aren’t getting full pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-08-2019, 04:06 PM

This may be a bit of a pain, but it will eliminate the slave and master as a root cause. Pull the whole slave/master/clutch lever from your buddies bike, bleed it well if needed, and put it on your bike.

If you are still getting the same symptoms, you know it is downstream from the slave cylinder and is likely rooted in the clutch pack assembly.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:28 AM

Yes, I will wait till I get the new slave, install it, then test, when nothing changes I will take my buddies master cylinder.

I will report back. In the meantime many thanks guys, your help is much appreciated!
Old 08-09-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
I have heard the magura slave cylinder seals are prone to fail. Happens on new husky s too. From what I understand the replacement seal kit from a brembo (ktm) unit will work and is better quality.
Are you sure that the Brembo prts will fit into the Magura cylinder and the seals will work with hydraulic oil?
Do you know which KTM/model year?
Old 08-09-2019, 02:34 PM

Angry

Update:

Today I disassembled the clutch master cylinder, cleaned it with brake cleaner and pressurized air, then oiled it with hydraulic oil and installed an OEM repair kit. The original parts looked mint so I did not expect the repair kit to change anything. I just took it as my dealer had one on the shelf. I reverse bled the system.

Test ride, but nothing changed, everything the same as before. When hot engine is stopped for longer than 30 seconds I cant start it in gear or if I put it in gear it instantly dies.

In the meantime I am convinced it's the clutch and it has nothing to do with its actuation system. I will however, install the new slave as soon as it arrives but I really doubt it will change anything.

After the frustrating recognition that whatever I did to the hydraulic system has no effect I changed the gear oil and found, that I had filled 900cc, which is 100cc too much. The manual states that oil level has to be between min and max dots on the sight glass. (see attached screen shots) And after refilling 800cc and letting the engine warm up and cool down, the level is exactly at the maximum mark.

The test ride showed that with less and thinner oil it was considerably better, but far from perfect. My theory, when the engine is shut off all oil returns at the bottom of the engine and causes the drag.
What I don't understand is why the problem did not appear the first 3 hours of (light) use without clutch slipping. It started after about 4 hours. Maybe the clutch friction plates have swollen up or they need some abuse.

So all I will do is ride the fucking thing and see what happens. Enough time and money wasted...

Old 08-09-2019, 05:29 PM

I would pull the clutch pack and take a look at the friction plates and steels. Maybe one of the steel plates are in the wrong direction, or possibly something was out of spec from the factory. Does not take long or cost anything.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:49 AM

One problem is gone another one is back

I changed the oil again and this time used thinner 10/30 gear oil (Motul).

After a longer ride yesterday the dragging problem is completely gone, except when the engine is stone cold. I really can live with that.

Unfortunately the squealing is back even when the clutch is only slightly abused. So I invested in a new Rekluse clutch basket, new steel and friction plates, a new slave cylinder plus a repair kit for the master, new oil all together for USD 590.- where I live and still no joy.

I think the time has come for the GasGas and I am sad as it was a brilliant bike but I have reached the point.....
Old 08-15-2019, 03:32 AM

Sounds like you just need to find a compatible oil mate. I would not be throwing the towel in just yet.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
Sounds like you just need to find a compatible oil mate. I would not be throwing the towel in just yet.
I pray you are right, I'll try a different oil.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:18 PM

Don?t be afraid to try motorcycle engine oil too. It does the same job of lubricating the gears and the clutch. Often you can get a good quality synthetic oil in bulk for a lot cheaper.