Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Product Reviews

Enduro Product Reviews Feedback & Comments on Products Tested

Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Skid Plate and Pipe Guard for 2007 EC250

Hi guys,
I just picked up my ISDE bike (07 EC250 Six Days edition) and need to get it setup. The first thing I need to get is a skid plate and pipe guard. Right now I'm looking at either an aluminum skid plate (insert brand here) and e-line carbon fibre pipe guard or the Hyde Racing skid plate/pipe guard combo. What is your opinion of the Hyde unit? I'm kind of turned off the eline units after breaking my eline pipe guard on my 200 last weekend (4th gear into a stump) so if the Hyde unit is really good I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks,

Steve

Old 07-03-2007, 03:16 PM

Hey Speedy

I ride in Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa, and we have some HARDCORE lurkers and rocky trials up here, and the Hyde is very popular. The only negative Ive has is that the unit is a 2 Piece sump / Exhaust system, and the pieces are held together by rivets that sometimes pop out after some abuse.

Id recommend the Hyde.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:34 PM

How easy is it to remove the unit once in place? The reason I ask is I get 10 minutes a day at the ISDE for bike maintenace, so time is an issue. I noticed the Hyde unit covers the water pump so if I need to access it to drain coolant I'll need to remove the skid plate/pipe guard.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Steve,

ELine is just glorified fiberglass. Get the hyde, best by far. The mounts are so so, but work OK with a little grinding. Its a mud collector, so get some Moose foam and pack it in there. The pipe heat doesn't hurt it at all, I have mine packed good from the motor to the pipe.

The drain hole lines up almost perfect, so no need to remove it for an oil change. You could drill a hole to access the water pump drain bolt (and crank drain) if you think thats neccessary. It comes off pretty quick though. Biggest hassle is when its new, the bolts are short. I used longer ones, but after its on the bike for a couple rides, it seems to take a set and the shorter bolts are fine. It fits the '07 absolutely perfect. I would approach this like you won't remove it but can if neccessary.

Mine has taken some serious hits, on both the pipe and frame sections. No damage. I have some new photos I have to resize and upload.

Wait till you ride it.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 PM

I have the one piece unit on my 06 300.
It wasn't the easiest thing to put on and it holds a ton of mud in the space behind the pipe.
If I were in a competition situation and needed quick access I'd go the two piece route.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. Looks like I'll be getting the Hyde unit.