Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default Tire cutting tip

If you want to groove your knobby or freshen up the edges, try a hand grinder with a 4" cutting wheel.
Grooving the knobs are quick, easy and straight lines are a snap with some practice.
freshening up the edges:
I now use this method instead of flipping the tire...I hold the grinder's wheel perpendicular to the knob and quickly grind in a sharp edge...you can even under-cut the knob to give it a scoop effect.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:14 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
If you want to groove your knobby or freshen up the edges, try a hand grinder with a 4" cutting wheel.
Grooving the knobs are quick, easy and straight lines are a snap with some practice.
freshening up the edges:
I now use this method instead of flipping the tire...I hold the grinder's wheel perpendicular to the knob and quickly grind in a sharp edge...you can even under-cut the knob to give it a scoop effect.
Don't do it in your basement garage - it stinks the whole house out!
(Glad to know it's not just us cheap-assed Kiwis who getup to these sorts of tricks)
Old 12-21-2010, 08:02 AM

Good idea, I have a Makita with a couple of fresh discs. I'll give it a try but outside or at least with the garage door open!

Last edited by GMP; 12-21-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Make sure that there is nothing in front of you, or behind you that you value..like a car or something as little pieces of hot melted rubber stick to everything!! And are a complete bitch to get off.

I speak from experience!!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd5774 View Post
Make sure that there is nothing in front of you, or behind you that you value..like a car or something as little pieces of hot melted rubber stick to everything!! And are a complete bitch to get off.

I speak from experience!!
True that...and I learned to wear gloves, eye wear and a old long sleeve tee.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Hehe! I have a basement workshop. The first time I did this, I had my glasses and earmuffs on, and I was about half way round the rear tyre, (fully engrossed - as one tends to be when you wear earmuffs) when I felt this major thumping between my shoulder blades. I turned around and through this thick blue haze I could just see my wife, a couple of meters away, dripping wet, wrapped only in a towel, waving at me.
Cool, I must be about to get lucky, I thought. How wrong could I be?...well very very wrong actually! It turns out I had filled the bloody house with stinky blue smoke, and set the smoke detectors off. My wife was having a shower at the time, heard the smoke alarms, and flew out of the bathroom in a mad panic, to discover a hallway full of smoke. She could hear my grinder still going and thought I must have electrocuted myself or something. So she comes rushing down to the garage and there is me grinding away, oblivious to all the drama. I offered to finish towelling her dry, but she told me to get lost (or words to that affect). Never could figure out women...
Old 12-22-2010, 02:24 PM

You crack me up Barry.
I remember discussing this on another forum and someone suggested using a skillsaw.....I remember thinking at the time you couldnt pay me to try cutting tyre knobs like that.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchatt View Post
Hehe! I have a basement workshop. The first time I did this, I had my glasses and earmuffs on, and I was about half way round the rear tyre, (fully engrossed - as one tends to be when you wear earmuffs) when I felt this major thumping between my shoulder blades. I turned around and through this thick blue haze I could just see my wife, a couple of meters away, dripping wet, wrapped only in a towel, waving at me.
Cool, I must be about to get lucky, I thought. How wrong could I be?...well very very wrong actually! It turns out I had filled the bloody house with stinky blue smoke, and set the smoke detectors off. My wife was having a shower at the time, heard the smoke alarms, and flew out of the bathroom in a mad panic, to discover a hallway full of smoke. She could hear my grinder still going and thought I must have electrocuted myself or something. So she comes rushing down to the garage and there is me grinding away, oblivious to all the drama. I offered to finish towelling her dry, but she told me to get lost (or words to that affect). Never could figure out women...
I almost spit my drink out! Too funny

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:49 AM

I put a KnobbyKnife on my Xmas list.If I don't get one I'll buy one,it looks like the easiest way to revive a tire. I found them through DirtRider at Knobbyknife.com.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete406 View Post
I put a KnobbyKnife on my Xmas list.If I don't get one I'll buy one,it looks like the easiest way to revive a tire. I found them through DirtRider at Knobbyknife.com.
The Knobbyknife people are awesome. The first one I got from them didn't work properly so I called them up. They were very nice and sent me out a replacement the very next day and threw in a free t shirt to boot. The replacement works fine.