Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Trials Technical Forums > Trials Other...

Old 10-15-2018, 08:38 AM

Default Help with a JTR 160, please

I picked up this 1996 JTR 160 over the weekend to learn to ride trials on and I'm very excited to get going with it. The bike is still in great shape given its age.

Nothing about it is found on the GasGas site. They do not even list a manual section for year 1996. It's as if this bike never existed : (

The closest year manual I found was for the 2002 TXT but I have no idea if I can go by this for what I need to know, so asking here in the hopes someone has some knowledge of this older bike.

1) Which gear/clutch oil is correct? This 2002 book says 10w30 but someone online posted 5w30 non-synthetic. Honda makes both in their 4-stroke line that is safe for clutch plates so I will use that, once I know which.

Also, there are two black plastic caps under the engine poking through the bash plate. I assume one of these is the oil drain and that I need to remove that bash plate to get to them??

2) What is the gas to oil mixture?

3) Is the coolant a 50/50 mix or do I use it straight and how do I know the fill level?

4) There is this small digital device on the center fairing. The two black wires have been cut. Can anyone tell me what this is for and where those wires connect to?

Appreciate any help you can provide. Really in the dark on this one. BTW: If anyone knows of a third party service book that might cover this year please let me know of it.

Thanks,
George

Old 10-15-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterspal View Post
I picked up this 1996 JTR 160 over the weekend to learn to ride trials on and I'm very excited to get going with it. The bike is still in great shape given its age.

Nothing about it is found on the GasGas site. They do not even list a manual section for year 1996. It's as if this bike never existed : (

The closest year manual I found was for the 2002 TXT but I have no idea if I can go by this for what I need to know, so asking here in the hopes someone has some knowledge of this older bike.

1) Which gear/clutch oil is correct? This 2002 book says 10w30 but someone online posted 5w30 non-synthetic. Honda makes both in their 4-stroke line that is safe for clutch plates so I will use that, once I know which.

Also, there are two black plastic caps under the engine poking through the bash plate. I assume one of these is the oil drain and that I need to remove that bash plate to get to them??

2) What is the gas to oil mixture?

3) Is the coolant a 50/50 mix or do I use it straight and how do I know the fill level?

4) There is this small digital device on the center fairing. The two black wires have been cut. Can anyone tell me what this is for and where those wires connect to?

Appreciate any help you can provide. Really in the dark on this one. BTW: If anyone knows of a third party service book that might cover this year please let me know of it.

Thanks,
George
1- regular car motor oil 5w30 non-synthetic 650cc. I dont know what these plugs are but the oil drain is on the right side towards the back. You dont need to take the bash plate off it mite be difficult to get back on.
2- 80:1
3- yes 50/50 if you cant get to the radiator cap (not real familiar with that year model, I have a 01 txt 280) you will need to take the tank off and fill it in the radiator just to cover the fins.
4- pic. would help dont know what this is.

you can shoot me a PM if you need any info not a lot of trials guys here

where are you located?

Here is Jim Snell's you tube videos. He was the US importer.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...gas+gas+videos

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 10-15-2018, 11:38 AM

Appreciate the help on this. Many thanks

I was looking in the wrong side, perhaps. Is this the oil drain?

Question: you're saying I do not need to use special clutch oil in this bike as I do with my 4-strokes?

As for the coolant, I have that port exposed but I have no knowledge of how much coolant should be in there. Right now, I see nothing but cannot see in that far.

So I replaced the battery and this digital device now lights up. It appears to be a time and distance meter. I assume those clipped leads were once connected to a magnetic sensor on the front wheel to measure rotation. Make sense?

BTW: I'm in Connecticut.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Appreciate the help on this. Many thanks

I was looking in the wrong side, perhaps. Is this the oil drain? i dont think that is the oil drain it should be just under the kick lever inside the frame rail

Question: you're saying I do not need to use special clutch oil in this bike as I do with my 4-strokes?no special oil

As for the coolant, I have that port exposed but I have no knowledge of how much coolant should be in there. Right now, I see nothing but cannot see in that far. fill it to the top just above the fin you can see. if you over fill it it will just puck it out when it gets hot

So I replaced the battery and this digital device now lights up. It appears to be a time and distance meter. I assume those clipped leads were once connected to a magnetic sensor on the front wheel to measure rotation. Make sense? yes

BTW: I'm in Connecticut.
could i see a pic of the hole bike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKPCCsKOgr4

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280

Last edited by cbutler; 10-15-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:10 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Just go to the bike shop and buy some 2 stroke gear oil. Some bikes are sensitive to clutch drag but should be fine. I had a TXT200 '00 and that evolved from the earlier bike. I say evolved but the engine didn't get bigger than 163 I think.

You can run less oil in a trials bike but if you trail ride on it you'd want to run more. Find a decent oil locally and run at thier prescribed level at the lean end. I used to rum 60:1.

You don't need a trip meter, (thats an aftermarket, never seen a std one still working) but do check if your fan is connected.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 10-15-2018, 03:19 PM

That was the oil drain port in the picture.

I removed the cover to the water pump and drained out the old coolant. No color to it. Looked like plain water. Flushed it a few times with clean water then added fresh 50/50 to just below the overflow tube inside the filler port.

As to the fan. It was running yesterday but idling in my shop it today, was off. The top of the engine was not that hot so I assume that's the reason... but am I correct in my thinking, here.

Question: there are two adjustments on the side of the carb. I assume one is mixture but is the other on the right with the spring the idle adjust for the throttle? Turning it to the left (out) causes the engine to slow but with much roughness.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:58 PM

Yes that is correct the one with the spring is your Idol. The other is a fuel screw it works opposite of a air screw. Jim snail has an excellent video on how to adjust that dellorto carburetor

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 10-15-2018, 04:43 PM

You asked to see my bike. Here it is. Still working on it so the air box is not on and the fairings are just sitting there.

I searched since June for an under 200cc trials bike. Never saw a one in a 300mile radius CraigsList search until this one came up on Sunday morning. Posted the night before.

That carb setup video you mentioned is on YouTube, I assume?

So 80:1 or 60:1 mix... Is there a consensus here or it makes little difference for trials?
Old 10-15-2018, 05:37 PM

First off that's one sweet bike. Trials bikes are hard to find of any size you'll find that parts are expensive for them. If that rear fender is bolted on you need to unbolt it and replace the bolts with zip ties that way when you flip it and you will it just breaks off if it's bolted the fender will break the one for my 01 cost a$150.

The first link that I sent you to the YouTube videos for Jim Snell has all of his gas gas videos I think it's seven or eight videos down it will say carb setup

90% of trials riders mix 80:1 or 100:1 like F5 said if you plan on riding it on trails you might want to go 60:1 I don't. If you do ride that on trails they do tend to get hammered it is not a dirt bike.

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 10-15-2018, 06:29 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
You asked to see my bike. Here it is. Still working on it so the air box is not on and the fairings are just sitting there.

Where do you live? Rascal's Cycles used to be the gasgas trails dealer in Massachusetts. I think he is still has a repair shop in the Brimfiled MA area....