Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
Oh, and the stock GasGas pipe is great. I've also used the FMF gnarly but prefer the stocker.
Have you tried the Doma? A friend of mine put one on his XC 250 and it made him want his mommy.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:25 PM

For 07 the stock pipe is essentially the same as the Doma. I had a Doma on my 200. Good pipe, just too thin. I crushed it along with an Eline pipe guard. FYI, eline carbon fiber is terrible. Looks cool but offers next to no protection. Hyde racing makes way better products.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I wouldn't say that GG doesn't focus as much on R&D as they did before. That's not my impression. In the past few years, for example,

1. Redesigned FSR motors, and introduced a 515. Not a huge undertaking, but given their production volume, a sizable effort. They were also first (i think) with fuel injection on their four strokes.

2. If you recall a few weeks ago, GG introduced a 4T, sidevalve Trials bike. THAT took some R&D. A lot.

During my factory tour, they took us through the manufacturing area, the race shop, and the R&D (but didn't show us the 4T sidevalve engine!). They are refining, but still doing R&D. When you're already good, getting better is less obvious.

BTW, the factory tour article link doesn't work anymore (if anyone cares).
Old 12-21-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
FYI, eline carbon fiber is terrible. Looks cool but offers next to no protection. Hyde racing makes way better products.
Amen. I have an e-line and when I took it off to give it a good cleaning, I was dismayed by the number of small dings in the pipe, granted they'd probably be bigger dings without it, but not as much protection as I expected. CF is to brittle to protect something hollow. I've been waiting for a reason to call Jay at Hyde and get one. I want to dump the aluminum skid plate too.

Can't justify it yet... maybe I should buy a new pipe to help guide my logic...
Old 12-21-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
2. If you recall a few weeks ago, GG introduced a 4T, sidevalve Trials bike. THAT took some R&D. A lot.
Perhaps they are just focusing all of their vision and limited budget on the 4t trial bike right now, since the 2 stroke enduros seem to be doing dandy.

Quote:
They are refining, but still doing R&D. When you're already good, getting better is less obvious.
True, small tweaks aren't as noticeable as major revisions (and I don't consider new plastic or seats to be a major revision). They have been tweaking the bikes every two years since 2000 and when you put a '99 next to an '08 you can definetly see the progression and improved workmanship.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:52 PM

The 2-stroke platform is mature, so its more evolutionary changes than revolutionary changes (like an alloy frame for example). KTM has changed a lot more, including frames and shock angles and we know that while appearing to upgrade a lot more year to year, the net result is not there yet. What GG does good is keep their eye on the ball.

Most of the mods I did were on my '03. Good bike but the least favorite of my three 250s. It needed more low end pull and the heavy ignition made it feel worse. The '07 needs nothing but protection and personal preferance changes.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
Amen. I have an e-line and when I took it off to give it a good cleaning, I was dismayed by the number of small dings in the pipe, granted they'd probably be bigger dings without it, but not as much protection as I expected. CF is to brittle to protect something hollow. I've been waiting for a reason to call Jay at Hyde and get one. I want to dump the aluminum skid plate too.

Can't justify it yet... maybe I should buy a new pipe to help guide my logic...
I think it is still way better than the cheap aluminum guards. I was getting a tom of little dings in my pipe from the tip overs (yeah I'm short) that would happen nearly every ride. Of course that doesn't happen as much since I lowered it. I agree that it really isn't going to help if you slam a rock real bad while moving.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff View Post
I was getting a tom of little dings in my pipe from the tip overs (yeah I'm short) that would happen nearly every ride.
I'm short too. Everyone I ride with is always amazed - I seldom fall over while we're moving, but everytime we stop, I fall over. Just like the Laugh-In guy on the trike.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

What a pleasure it is to ride a gasgas. After years of converted Jap mx'ers its such a pleasure to have a bike where jetting,spring rates and armour are my only concerns.Now I spend more time riding and less tweaking.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:53 AM

I haven't changed anything on my 06 other than the seat foam and set the sag. I am totally stoked on the stock bike. It runs clean, other than a little spooge and definitely strong enough (I'll never use it to its full potential). Its got good enough
"chug" power and the top end is plenty ample for this super senior "b" rider.

Sure, you could add a bunch of stuff to any bike on the market today and some of them require it, but I think GG is one of the few that don't require it or to a lesser degree, anyway.