GasGas Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   GasGas Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2012, 01:06 AM
swazi_matt swazi_matt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven
Posts: 2,241
Default modifications to stock "banana" silencer

I recently rode a GG with a q-stealth pipe on it and liked the slight increase of power and the way it reved up a bit quicker

I know there are a whole host of guys here who still ride teir ktm's with a shortened hockey stick exhaust, so was thinking of choping a bit off the end of my banana zorst.

before i do that i wanted to know if anyone here has attempted that and/or has some advice for me before i do it?

thanks


__________________
2003 txt250 Pro
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 01-09-2012, 01:11 AM
noobi's Avatar
noobi noobi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,031
Default

Yes, a friend of mine with a 2010 300 had problems with the inner 'stinger' becoming loose where it attaches to the pipe end. Got advice from the importer to shorten the silencer as much as you can while still retaining the 2 mounts.
He just did some measuring, some cutting, re-braised the stinger, and put it back together. As far as I know, it has given no issues.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2012, 10:28 PM
swazi_matt swazi_matt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven
Posts: 2,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
Yes, a friend of mine with a 2010 300 had problems with the inner 'stinger' becoming loose where it attaches to the pipe end. Got advice from the importer to shorten the silencer as much as you can while still retaining the 2 mounts.
He just did some measuring, some cutting, re-braised the stinger, and put it back together. As far as I know, it has given no issues.
Do you know if he noticed any difference in the performance of the bike?
__________________
2003 txt250 Pro
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2012, 02:58 AM
noobi's Avatar
noobi noobi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,031
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
Do you know if he noticed any difference in the performance of the bike?
Just asked him, he doesn't think it made mush difference at all.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 AM
GMP's Avatar
GMP GMP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jefferson Twp., NJ
Posts: 7,597
Default

I had a KTM300 with the hockey stick, and my main motovation for shortening it was that it was the perfect stock length to drip spooge on the brake caliper/rotor. I don't like to run spark arrestors if I don't have to for that reason, they are all spooge traps no matter how good your jetting is.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-10-2012, 08:57 AM
lankydoug lankydoug is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I had a KTM300 with the hockey stick, and my main motovation for shortening it was that it was the perfect stock length to drip spooge on the brake caliper/rotor. I don't like to run spark arrestors if I don't have to for that reason, they are all spooge traps no matter how good your jetting is.
When you ditch the spark arrestor do you usually have to re-jet?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-10-2012, 09:54 AM
GMP's Avatar
GMP GMP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jefferson Twp., NJ
Posts: 7,597
Default

Not from my experience. On my '07 250, I go between an FMF TC2 for enduros where I need it, to the OEM Messico straight silencer everywhere else with no issues. Now, if your a little borderline on jetting to start with things might be different, but not much. I like that silencer, its quiet, short, very light, and tucks in tight as to not get bent in a crash or lever the subframe. I don't like the Stealth, its too big like a 4-stroke can, had one and sold it. Too bad the '12 seems to have a different bend and I'm stuck until aftermarket comes through with a more compact solution.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"attn." "new England Boys" RONALD BRUNDIGE General Discussions & Announcements 9 11-17-2008 08:19 PM
"B" piston in an "A" bore? Kokanee Enduro Engine - 2 stroke 6 09-04-2006 07:10 PM
Recommendation: add "Injury/Recover" and "Riding Techniques" sections MattR Suggestion Box 2 07-18-2006 09:19 PM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - GasGasRider.org