Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:02 AM

Question Costa Rica

I'll be going to Costa Rica in a couple weeks and plan to do a little riding among other things. I'll be staying in Puntarenas, about an hour north of Jaco Beach so they tell me. Anyone with experience in renting a bike and going on a ride with a guide for a day? I see a lot of multi-day long tour type stuff but I can't do that as its a family vacation, just a day in the woods (jungle?) on a real woods bike is what I would like. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Banned

I hear there is now a guy in Jaco operating a dirt bike tour outfit. Years ago I did the one based out of San Jose and found it pricey and not up to expectations. I dont think that the best riding is on the Pacifico coast either, but thats only my experiance. I did not have my own gear and used the tour company's stuff. Leather boots two sizes to small had to be soaked in the swimming pool for ten minutes before they would fit and a helmet so big the slipstream would pull it off my head.Still very cool if you can rent a bike . take a map and gps and go for it by yourself. Are you flying into Liberia or San Jose, if the later take note of the locals driving style. It might put an end to any thoughts of riding a bike around period.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:42 AM

My buddy was down in Costa Rica for Christmas this year. He and his brothers rented some bikes, but ended up with little Yamaha 125s. He said renting a real woods bike was insanely expensive.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:06 AM

I work with a guy from Costa Rica that goes back every year. He advised not to drive a car there, in fact he doesn't even drive there any more. We will be flying into San Jose, but staying in a top flight condo/resort, so I can get a van or cab ride to where I need to go for recreation. If I can find an outfitter to go on a ride for a day with I'll bring my own gear. The company with the Yamaha WRs (Costa Rica Unbound) that hosted the industry ride last year is between Jaco and where I will be. They do not do single day rides however. I'd like to do something like I did in Kauai several years back, just me and a guide of similar skill put in over a hundred miles in one full day over all kinds of terrain.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Banned

Save yourself from dissapointment and just go surfing instead. When you hit that 100 degree heat with 90% humidity you will just want to a.s.a.p., tear off all your cloths, cool down and suck back a bunch of ice cold Pilsins.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:33 PM

Yeah, I remember when I landed on Moen Island, Truk Lagoon. 98 F and 90+ %. Took a couple days to aclimate. Even the water was crazy warm, over 80 F @ 240 FSW.

I can always see how it is and line something up there, as long as I know the possibilities.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

One of our club members went there in Feb.
Looks like a blast to me.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16068
Old 03-26-2008, 07:41 AM

Does anyone know if they offer a little more intense offroading ? Seems like a nice scenic dualsport tour for the 640's, but what about some jungle singletrack on the 450's?
Old 03-29-2008, 08:15 PM

Default Costa Rica

Try Moto Costa Rica, its run by RJ Faddis past VCHSS President I believe they have KTM 450's

R.J. Faddis:
Phone: 540-980-7675
Cell: 540-230-7618
Fax: 540-345-5330

http://www.mototourscostarica.com/contact_us.php
Prunedale CA