Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Pictures & Videos

Old 10-20-2009, 11:27 PM

Default My "new" 300

New on the floor 2007 EC300

Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

wow... that thing is beautiful..
Old 10-21-2009, 08:33 AM

Those aren't 07 shrouds though (or the decals aren't). Look like the 09 I think. 07's were grayish. It looks excellent though IMO. So what did an 07 leftover cost you???

You have the real GG pipe which is really good and heavy duty as well. P3 now has beautiful carbon fiber guards for this pipe. I supplied him my pipe to make the mold. 2-3 times as thick as any E-Line guard. If you like the carbon guards get the P3, it's night and day better than the Ree-Line

http://pirieperfprod.com/p3home.html

Here is an 07
Old 10-21-2009, 12:22 PM

Jeff,

What would be good, now that the carbon is very thick and strong, is to design in a frame/skidplate attachment point(s) and bracket. This would help reduce the "header kink" problem that is common with carbon guards, and is the strong point of the Hyde. The Eline is far too thin and weak to support this.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Jeff,

What would be good, now that the carbon is very thick and strong, is to design in a frame/skidplate attachment point(s) and bracket. This would help reduce the "header kink" problem that is common with carbon guards, and is the strong point of the Hyde. The Eline is far too thin and weak to support this.
Sounds like a good winter project. I need to really have a close look at the Hyde combo as it's probably a great setup. Wish is was easier to install/remove though because I can see it driving me crazy washing the bike
Old 10-22-2009, 07:21 AM

I have wrestled with the Hyde and mounts since I got my '07, and despite it being a PIA to R&R, and a messy oil change if you don't, its still the best IMO. I had planned to add some Delrin pipe to the frame but that ended up being too thick and throwing the fit way off. I ended up cutting a couple rubber hose sections to snap over the frame instead. Made my own rear mounts with captive fasteners, and a new front mount thats a combo of a thick bar and the OEM Hyde mount that follows the curve of the frame tubes. I ditched the header side clamp/stud setup and just use a clamp with high temp silicone rubber as an insulator. All M6 hardware with steel inserts through the plastic so the holes don't wear.

I can R&R the combo in a few minutes now. I leave it on for washing the bike if I'm not going to do an oil change, otherwise I pull it, and the hose frame guards, and clean it up good. The skidplate foam does a good job of controlling mud but the corrigated pipe guard section still traps a lot of leaves and junk. CF pipe guards trap mud too, and don't dry out as quick due to the tight fit, rusting the pipe.

Jeff,

Its a little late now, but what if Pirie molded in several threaded inserts in the bottom of the guard, with a flange as large as possible to distribute forces. This would be the strongest way. You could then design brackets to tie the skidplate in, and if done right, may even be able to be universal.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:55 AM

Just got the e-line pipe guard & am waiting for the skid plate. Decided to go with the Hyde.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff
Old 10-28-2009, 07:47 AM

Send the e-line back while you still can and get the P3 like I mentioned above I am not kidding when I say it's a night and day difference between the 2 guards in quality. The P3 covers more area and is much thicker. That's a (list price) $375 dollar pipe by the way so if you're fine with the wimpy e-line that's fine by me. Just trying to help out.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Hey Jeffro!,

Oh my. That bike sure is "easy on the eyes".

The e-line is carbon fiber on the outside and blown in chop fiberglass on the inside - it is relatively flexible - it can give on hard hits and there will be a dent underneath it that you don't see until it is removed.

Is the p3 guard layers of weave or chop fiberglass?

If it were me - I'd choose the hyde - but the e-line looks cool and will "do in a pinch".

Send your suspension up to Les at LT-Racing - it's overnight UPS at ground rates from oregon. He specializes in zokes/sachs/ohlins (and is damn good at everything else too) and his rates are extremely reasonable. He is now sponsoring the site here - www.lt-racing.com. He just updated his website.

jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club

p.s. I'd love to hook up for a ride down that way sometime!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:10 AM

Thanks again for the info. The reason I jumped at the e-line guard was I got no response from P3. Must've called them 5 or 6 times with no answer. Also emailed & got a response back 3 or 4 days later.

I agree, the P3 looks better, but was kind of guided by circumstance to go the other way.

thanks again.

Jeff