Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Thats the one I was talking about. Been a while since I've been in there and didn't realise it sold.

It sucks that you're going through a few teething issues, but once done it'll be a rock solid donk. In regards to the airboot, double check the mounts on the subframe. You might be able to relax them off a bit and get a better connect. Also pulling the airboot and dropping it in some warm water makes it nice and soft and you can shape it as required, mount it up and then it cools into position a bit better.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Thats the one I was talking about. Been a while since I've been in there and didn't realise it sold.

It sucks that you're going through a few teething issues, but once done it'll be a rock solid donk. In regards to the airboot, double check the mounts on the subframe. You might be able to relax them off a bit and get a better connect. Also pulling the airboot and dropping it in some warm water makes it nice and soft and you can shape it as required, mount it up and then it cools into position a bit better.
Cheers,

It's not that it's to hard or won't push on, it's quite soft actually and will push right up the the stops on the throttle body.

When you tighten the clamp it just rolls the rubber boot off the throttle body every time, never seen one like it.

Normally you'd be struggling to pull the bloody thing off even with the clamp totally removed, I can't see how they managed to make it like that.

Then there's the matter of an open hole/unused hose tail that totally vents to outside UPSTREAM of the air filter....WTF!

With these things open and just popping off by themselves I'll be worrying about it all the time.

I know they're heavier, but I'm kicking myself for chasing this cheap/exotic option and wish I'd just bought a new WR450.

There wouldn't have been any of this bullshit.

I would have had the fuel injection and only be washing and servicing it.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear.. I don't have much other advise other than working with the dealer and/or confirming the part numbers. www.gasgasmotos.es has all the user manuals and exploded parts diagrams. The airboots should have the part number stamped on it. I know I'd be pissed to be working through issues on a new bike, but I'm following other threads on other forums with people having issues with QA on new Yamahas as well. Its one of those things you get with bikes. Its just painful when its with YOUR new bike.

Probably not what you want to hear.. but shoulda bought a 2 stroke I think if I was going back to 4T realm it'd have to be one of those Jap models, in a 250cc capacity.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Sorry to hear.. I don't have much other advise other than working with the dealer and/or confirming the part numbers. www.gasgasmotos.es has all the user manuals and exploded parts diagrams. The airboots should have the part number stamped on it. I know I'd be pissed to be working through issues on a new bike, but I'm following other threads on other forums with people having issues with QA on new Yamahas as well. Its one of those things you get with bikes. Its just painful when its with YOUR new bike.

Probably not what you want to hear.. but shoulda bought a 2 stroke I think if I was going back to 4T realm it'd have to be one of those Jap models, in a 250cc capacity.
Cheers mate,

I'd had a few beers last night and did blow it out my arse a bit.

I also rang and had a bit of a go at the importer who was silly enough to give me his card at a trade show.

Must have hit home cos the local dealers wife rang me today to get my details and arrange to bring it in.

I did take it for a hard bit of riding today and gave it quite a bit of shit (as well as falling off several times, I'm a noob) and nothing major went wrong.

It stalls quite a bit and probably needs the idle turned up a bit.

The air ducting all stayed in place and the local boys decided it was time to bust my senior citizen cherry on some tight technical trails and hills.

In the interest of being fair, I must say the bike worked well enough and is more bike than I am rider.

I am unhappy about the issues with assembly on this machine (the exhaust baffle just fell out today as well), but the local dealer has been good considering I didn't buy it from them. And that IS an issue as they generally don't get paid full rate from their suppliers for warranty work, so I feel for them there.

What is fair to say is that their assy line could pay a bit more attention to detail and putting things together properly. If I bought another I'd treat it like a Chinese ebay minibike and go over everything to check it was all tight

To be honest for what we're doing in our local area a 250 might be easier to manage...I am totally rooted after todays ride.

Last edited by gasgasbloke; 09-14-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Heaps of people under estimate the 250F. IMO one of the easiest bikes to go fast all day on, and will happily cater for those new to the sport and the quick blokes who like to turn the throttle. Maintenance and upkeep can get a bit busy if you work them hard, but same goes for most bikes.

The QC on the Gassers isn't quite up to standard on the big brands, but its far from chinga level too. Resale value hurts.. I've put ver 8000kms on my 2010 model.. I don't see me selling it, even when I buy a new one. At the end of the day you could say the brand is very much still an enthiuasts brand. Nothing is ever as straight forward as it would be going with the big players, however if you have the passion, enjoy nutting things out, and working on your bike as much as you enjoy riding it, you'll learn to love the gasser. If not its going to be love hate. Not saying that they are a pain in the ass, break down, fall apart, or anything.. its just when the taxes of riding a bike in the bush set in, information and advice isn't as easy to come by. This sites got some really knowledgable people. I consider it the workshop manual!
Old 10-10-2013, 02:58 AM

Well she's done 3 big rides without breaking down now, so hopefully my new bike teething problems are out of the way.

I do like the bike, and it seems to do all I need to do.

Speedo is still buggered, I'm just going to live with that.

One problem I am having is boiling, but I'm not losing any coolant.

I was thinking of trying that engine ice stuff, or even Toyota super long life coolant (anyone tried that?)

I've heard about the FI map being lean from the factory, but also heard that the later models (like mine) have a sensor in the head somewhere and can't be adjusted.

Can anyone help me with some tips on that?

I'd just like to sort the boiling out as it's hot at the moment and don't want to cook my motor,

It does have a thermo fan which is working and the radiators are spotless clean.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:10 PM

Have you checked the radiator cap? My 450 started boiling after about 3000kms, I replaced the cap and haven't had the problem since.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa_ndro View Post
Have you checked the radiator cap? My 450 started boiling after about 3000kms, I replaced the cap and haven't had the problem since.
Mate I have...but don't know what I'd be looking for as it looked OK.

I checked that the rubber washer wasn't damaged, wiped the seat in the radiator with a rag and checked that the spring was "springy".

But I've got no problem with getting a new one as part of a process of elimination.

It's a 1.8 bar cap.

Any recommendations of what sort I should get?
Old 10-11-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasbloke View Post
Mate I have...but don't know what I'd be looking for as it looked OK.

I checked that the rubber washer wasn't damaged, wiped the seat in the radiator with a rag and checked that the spring was "springy".

But I've got no problem with getting a new one as part of a process of elimination.

It's a 1.8 bar cap.

Any recommendations of what sort I should get?
Mine didn't look that bad either, but I just ordered an OEM replacement, and it stopped boiling.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes you'll get a pissweak spring in a cap. It allows it to blow off sooner than you'd want..

I'd personally drop the coolant, put your own favourite mix. I'm using one of those exy premixed things thats orange in colour and haven't boiled my bike one time. But its not a big 4T either. If it still boils change the rad cap. The other thing is, if you're riding slow techy trails in the heat its just going to happen regardless. Even with the thermo fans working over time! They need airflow