Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:09 PM

Default Wiring Diagram help 98 with ducati energia external generator

So i have a 98 with the external Ducati Energia generator, 2 yellow wires and 1 red, this system is claimed to put out 200w, i dont need all that power but i would like to run a LED front light which means converting the ac of the generator to dc to feed the bulb.

Will any reg/rec, do cos i aint spending the silly money on the ducati one

The std regulator is mounted under the tank in the headstock

I want to run a basic wiring system of:
Headlight on a simple on/off switch (maybe hi/lo beam) 3 pin HS1 bulb
With a Rear LED tail/brake light.

Im stumped as to where to wire what where, i have a basic idea can anyone whos good with electrics draw me a simple diagram or offer advise as to what to do

any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Old 10-14-2016, 03:20 PM

This should be simple to do. The only question is the Ducati windings. Are any of those wires connected to ground? Measure the ohms value yellow#1 to yellow#2, red to yellow#1 and red to yellow#2 (wires disconnected from the bike). That might help figure it out.

The windings might use red as a ground point and have an output on both yellows. The simplest connection would be to power a reg/rectifier using only one of the yellows and the red wire. Output of the reg/rectifier could be left ungrounded and be hooked directly to your switchgear and lights.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the reply yes the red wire is the earth or -
So will any reg/rec work either second hand fro a jap bike or an ebay special for ? 13.99

What about a switch ? DPDT or SPDT
Old 10-17-2016, 12:34 PM

Since the red wire is earthed you need to leave the output of the reg/rect ungrounded. Any standard reg/rect for a single phase system should work.

Switchgear can be whatever you have. A SPST switch is all you need, however any combination of SP, DP, ST, DT will work; just select one pole and one throw to connect to. Switch the reg/rect output to your lights and connect the other side of the lights to the second reg/rect output wire (no grounding).

If your LED headlight bulb could work on AC (some do), you could just add an AC voltage regulator and connect your light directly to the AC stator with a switch for on/off.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:26 AM

Thanks Neil E

I appreciate your help, i wanna throw in an inline fuse at the power side any ideas as to what amp fuse would be sufficient?

If i need to pm you i will
Cheers mate
Old 10-18-2016, 10:08 AM

I don't see the need for fusing, however I've been wrong before (last time was in 1962). I would fuse the hot wire out of the rectifier and that would handle any short in your lighting wiring. A fuse is most beneficial when you have a battery. It is the only source of power strong enough to do significant damage to the wiring or devices. Cheap insurance for sure.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:33 AM

Default wiring diagram

ok so now have all my bits to convert AC to DC using a Reg/Rec powering a 2 button switch (HI / Lo) to a LED headlight and Rear tail/brake light.

Using the ducati energia yellow (+) to the yellow of the RR
and red ( - ) to the white of the RR

as i understand the wire from the tail light needs to run to the lightswitch which will be supplied with DC power from the RR.

the power feed from the rear brake switch should also tap into the live from the RR

The problem i am struggling to understand is the light switch and bulb wiring

3 wires from the bulb H / L & (earth)
it has 2 push in & out switches in total 4 wires.
I assume the switch is only live when it is pushed in.

here is a wiring diagram i have drawn to show you if it is correct

also i wiring diagram with the switch i bought
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161217_164303.jpg (113.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20161215-110654.jpg (6.6 KB, 7 views)