Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:27 AM

Default I put my first mile on my yz250f 300 gasgas swap bike!!!

Hello forum members, (my first post but like most ive been lurking for a while)..first off I would like to say thank you for the wealth of information that this forum provides.

Iong story short I bought a 05 ec300 a few months back and was very happy with it. I knew it needed some various bearings and eventually I realized there were huge chips in the fork sancions from steel studs flying out of the winter tires which were causing lots of leaking.

A few pictures will be up today or tomorrow. It's been very cold here so my power washer isn't an option. I rode it yesterday but with the carb open to air I don't want the pressure blast water in it so she's a little dirty.

I set off to buy a set of kayaba sss forks instead of Messi g around with the stock forks. I arrived at the guys house to pick the front end of a blown up four stroke and the guy didn't take them off of the frame as promised. He was an older Guy (I need to find out what all of these 55 plus guys in eastern PA are eating/doing to stay in riding shape...the guy I bought the gasser from was 65). He was drinking with his buddies on a Saturday when I got there and didn't feel like messing with it I guess so he offered me the rest of the rolling chassis for $100 more.

So I said worst case I could sell the rest of the chassis and essentially get a free set of forks. I got home and started measuring and realized that I might be able to pull this off.(I bought a TIG welder last year but I'm very inexperienced with aluminum, never have I done a swap like this). After thinking some more the yamaha chassis is much easier to get parts for, lighter and seems to have the slight edge on suspension.

So I cut the stock mounts from the frame, had the rear swingarm bolt hole in the case machined 1mm larger and went to town. I got the pipe to fit through the chassis without cutting the y section out. The pipe goes through the spot that the oil cooler is on on the yz250f. At the top of the y section I had to shave off about 5mm of the edge to clear the pipe flange, the pipe springs I moved slightly by simply drilling new holes.

Lots of small adjustments and fitting changes later and here she is, all that is left is to fit up an air boot. It almost looks like it was made this way.

Last edited by Kbowen4; 02-20-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Sweet. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:50 AM

I should be able to get a few pictures up today or tomorrow. It's been too cold here to power wash the chassis and until I get the air boot sorted out she'll be pretty dirty
Old 02-20-2017, 08:51 AM

All that is left to do is mount the computer better, put my handgaurd on, see if I can get the old gasser airboat to work, and clean up the wiring.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:05 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Great job!!!!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Man, that looks wicked.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:31 AM

Thank you, anytime I see a thread like this there doesn't seem to be much info on what had to be done to fit the engine in a frame once I get home from work I'll give anyone reading this more details on what had to be done to get the engine to sit low enough for the pipe to clear the factory Yamaha Frame y area and engine mount details. It wasn't too bad really well we'll see about the air boot situation soon
Old 02-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Have you put it on the scales yet?
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 02-20-2017, 01:26 PM

I have not put it on the scales yet I just finished or I should say partially finished it yesterday the scales will come in the next couple of weeks. I do have one question for you gas gas guys the newer gas gas bikes don't have the upper head stay mount and I didn't fab one up yet, I was wondering how many of you guys that have older gas gas 300 that are running without the upper head mount bracket?
Old 02-20-2017, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

[IMG][/IMG]