Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > GasGas Member Polls

GasGas Member Polls Find out what everyone thinks about it!

View Poll Results: Do you run a auto clutch on your Gas Gas?
Yes! I would be lost with out it. 60 30.61%
No! Those things are for guys with poor clutch control. 77 39.29%
Thinking about installing one. 59 30.10%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Do you run a auto clutch on your Gas Gas?

I haven't put a poll out for a while so I thought I would throw this fun little fact finder out about us Gas Gas riders.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 PM

I like to tell the owners of autoclutched bikes that my wife or mother would probably like the clutch in that bike. I consider 50 to be the minimum age for anyone using an autoclutch, that gives me 10 years till I can consider one and to keep flipin people s#$t about them.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:43 PM

Rode an 07 YZ250 and an 09 KTM200 with Rekluse autos last week ... I wasn't sold on them before the ride, and likely less so after. My XC250 has the best clutch actuation of anything I've ridden, not to mention the light pull, and it's hard to stall a GasGas anyway ...
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 09-03-2010, 03:34 AM

I had an auto clutch in other bikes, but never out one in a gasser. Mainly because you couldn't buy a Rekluse Pro. I have an EXP Core clutch ready to go in next week.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

I don't run one...But just because someone does, doesn't mean they don't know how to use a clutch.
That said...
(Something about old dogs and new tricks)
After riding for 40 years I'm thinking it would be very hard to learn how the use one properly (Auto Clutch). And just say I liked it...then what...I would have to put one in every bike I own... No thx.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175

Last edited by HuskyDude; 09-03-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:44 AM

I do not currently have one in my 300 only because the hydraulic clutch works so well and is an easy pull. I had the Rekluse Pro in my zy250f and LOVED it. It has nothing to do with knowing how to use a clutch but more with taking advantage of a performance enhancing bolt-on that works over stock (cable). This is mainly for racing. For trail riding and playing around I would rather have a manual clutch just because it's more fun!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM

I have hated Rekluse clutches with a passion until I rode a bike with an EXP in it and now I am sold.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I chose thinking about installing one.

I am contemplating installing a EXP in my new E start 300.

I have never had one on any of my bikes, but I have seen the advantage work for guys who race. Their corner speed and the effortless starting of the bike in gear has helped them a bunch.

The biggest hurdle is the cost. I may need to take a second on the house.

Paul (PEB)would then be able to flip me S!&#%T about my clutch and E start. But I still won't be running a trials tire. 2 for 3 ain't bad.

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

i had one on my husaberg 650 and it was a little difficult to set up, newer ones are ez, but i liked it.
aside form the ability to slip the clutch perfect, the auto clutch allowed me to turn my left lever from a clutch to a rear brake.
that was sweet coming down the real nasty stuff.
but i dont really see too much need for my 06 ec300 since its ez to use as is.
i think that if you ride on that is set up properly, its like an electric start button, once you use it you love and cant do without it.
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300
Old 09-03-2010, 06:33 PM

I just rode my XC300 tonight for the first time with the EXP installed. I also have a WR250 Husky with a Rekluse Pro. I too thought I didn't need an auto clutch, because I know how to use my clutch. I'm also an upper level trials competitor.

But I have to say for woods racing, it's a definite advantage. Virtually never stall your bike. Don't have to worry about covering your clutch when brake sliding, going over obstacles, etc... And if you fall, the bike generally keeps running. It also helps hook up on dead engine starts and you bog-o-matic through the woods, if it's greasy and knarly.

I think it's great plus for racing. I know I get a 4" bigger trophy, because of it. If I was just trail riding, I wouldn't bother. And wouldn't recommend one for a beginner either. Not that it won't make things easier for them, but you should know how to use the clutch, if you're gonna ride a motorcycle.