Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Read my past posts as well. Water intrusion in the HV lead wire as in exits the coil. Before you buy a coil check this.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

First thing I did was check the plug and carb, then took the tank off too check the wiring.
Unfortunately don't have anyone nr me with a gasgas to check the cdi so will have to eliminate everything else before I go down that route, does anyone know if the cdi from a ec200 same yr as mine would work as there is one going cheap on eBay at the mo..
Old 01-18-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Read my past posts as well. Water intrusion in the HV lead wire as in exits the coil. Before you buy a coil check this.
Yup looked at that as well!!

Keep the suggestions coming guys! Desperate to ride again!
Old 01-18-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd5774 View Post
Does anyone know if the cdi from a ec200 same yr as mine would work as there is one going cheap on eBay at the mo..
Yes it will but depending what CDI you have it may change the ignition curve a bit. I think they used the 200 CDI's on the MC and XC models (250cc) of that era for the more aggressive ignition curve.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 01-19-2011, 03:37 AM

Ok.......

So now I have a problem, just in passing the bike I decided to give it a kick and it fired straight up.....
So it's fixed itself but now I have no idea what the problem was, so can't trust the bike until I can find the original fault , I guess it's a case of stripping the loom wire by wire to see if there is a break in a wire somewhere as my fiddling with the bike trying to trace faults must have aligned a wire or stopped it from earthing somewhere.

Why is nothing easy?!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 AM

Got to love those electrical gremlins, I used to do industrial mechanical/electrical service and some of the stuff was so weird with the wiring, I don't know how dirt bikes even keep an electrical connection. The thought of fuel injection scares me to death on a dirt bike .

Hey blitz, sounds like an interesting project you are working on, wish you were next door so we could play together
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd5774 View Post
Ok.......

So now I have a problem, just in passing the bike I decided to give it a kick and it fired straight up.....
So it's fixed itself but now I have no idea what the problem was, so can't trust the bike until I can find the original fault , I guess it's a case of stripping the loom wire by wire to see if there is a break in a wire somewhere as my fiddling with the bike trying to trace faults must have aligned a wire or stopped it from earthing somewhere.

Why is nothing easy?!
If it were easy, it wouldn't be fun!

Wiring is easy. If you're methodical, you'll find the problem (if it exists there).

The black box isn't easy. You can't measure anything, you can't see anything, you can't diagnose. All you can do is replace as a last resort.

The intermittent problems are the worst. How do you know that you really have it?

Kendunn, the project is kind really fun. Frustrating, too. It would be nice to find an entire day to wrap up the loose ends, but every time i have an idea, it's a two day wait for parts. Then something else comes up, most notably, my day job.

My plan is to post an article about the theory of operations of these ignitions, and a walk through of the design of what I am designing now, maybe making available my CDI box as an alternative to the Kukosan box. I want something that indicates that the CDI is alive, so if a problem does arise, it will assist diagnosis. Once i have the 2'nd stage of the power supply figured out, i should be pretty close.

blitz
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM

try this : fire her up, let it idle and fiddle with the wiring until she stalls...
Old 01-19-2011, 01:53 PM

Is the stator dry and free of corrosion? As far as wiring check the harness where the subframe can pivot up. This can be stressed if your not carefull, I always cut the ties for more slack.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post

Exact same thing happened to mine.
I drove to the trail head in some blinding rain, got there and the bike would not start.
I sealed the coil in a zip lock bag and next day you could see condensation in the bag.