Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:42 PM

Default 2001 EC300 won't idle - can't get jetting right

Hey all,

I've previously owned 4 or 5 KTM's (250 & 300 2strokes).

I've just purchased my very first GAS GAS EC300 which is a 2001 model.

I'm in Sydney, Australia and actually used to work for the Australian importer for gas gas so I'm well aware of the quality of these things.

When i first got it home, I assumed that it hadn't been looked after all that well but it's not in bad condition either. I took it for a run and found that it would completely bog down and die at full throttle (very strange).

I took it home and pulled the carby apart and gave it a good clean. I then checked the needle clip position and was very surprised to see it in the no 1 position.
I dropped it down 2 positions and then found that it was fine up top but i'd lost very noticeable power in the mid range.
So then i went back home and put the clip in the no 2 position and it seems to run best here once the throttle is cracked and up to full throttle.
The powerband is quite harsh when it kicks it which doesn't bother me too much but seems a little bit rough.
The main problem and what is getting to me is that the bike won't idle.
The idle screw is wound all the way in and the mixture screw is 1.5 turns out although i've tried at different positions bewteen 1 and 3 turns out.
The current carby details are:
Pilot jet - 42
Main jet - 178
slide - no 7
needle type - N1EG
needle clip position - 2

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Bexi

Old 02-28-2010, 04:28 AM
Site Sponsor

you shouldn't have idle screw all the way in..take carb off, inspect slide and idle screw for damage where the two meet. inspect slide for damage anywhere. reassemble. look down the bore, see if idle screw moves slide up and down. turn idle screw out until you can just see daylight under slide, then turn in idle screw 1/2 turn. make sure throttle returns properly and slide clunks down on idle screw. make sure choke assembly is working properly. check pilot jet/pilot jet passageway for blockage.. if that doesn't fix it, i would think changing pilot jet is next.. and sometimes a fresh spark plug can work wonders..
Old 02-28-2010, 12:51 PM

thanks for your reply stainlesscycle.

I have already done all the things you have mentioned accept for changing the spark plug.

The bike only has a br8es in it and a br8eg is recommended so i'll get the br8eg and try that first
Old 02-28-2010, 01:38 PM

Have you checked the float level.My bike would not ideal and found the float off set it and all was good.
What about cracks in the rubber between carb and reed block.

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 02-28-2010, 03:02 PM

on my 250 2001:
pilot jet 40
main jet 175
slide 7
needle n1ee
clip 2 position from the top
air screw -2

runs perfect
Old 02-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Site Sponsor

br8eg/es/eix all run about the same it seems.. i jet wth es, the run eix.. the eix is hard to read jetting...

your jetting is close enough that it should idle, or at at least run for a few seconds at idle and die... is the choke operating properly?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Check for broken reeds.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 PM

Hi stainlesscycle

It does run for a few seconds before it dies.

It'll idle for about 2 seconds then stall.

The chocke must be missing a circlip or something as it won't stay up (you have to hold it up when starting from cold) but i've checked with compressed air through choke jet to make sure that it doesn't allow air through when choke knob is down and it is operating as it should - lets air through when choke is up and and won't let air through when choke is down
Old 03-01-2010, 02:12 AM

Idle problems usually comes from reed valves and float height, specially with boyesen reeds.

have fun,

j.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:20 AM
Site Sponsor

then it's probably not the carb. check reeds and float height as others have said... cracked/broken reeds will make it very difficult to start/idle and bog badly..

float height if out of adjustment will override your idle screw....