Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:42 AM

Angry ?? Added flywheel weight to 2003 EC200, bike ran for test ride now wont start

Is it possible the flywheel weight has done something to the timing. Does this bike use a magnito by the fly wheel

EDIT: I have already rebuilt the carb, changed the sparkplug, cleaned the gas tank and used new fuel.

Last edited by mswilkes; 01-12-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Added details

Old 01-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

If you just rattled the nut off and put the new one on you shouldn't have changed the timing at all. Have you confirmed that you still have spark? Did you touch anything else since it was last running?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:19 PM

Correct, all i did was remove the stock nut from the fly wheel, screw on the weight and and new nut to torqued specifications. Cranked the bike right up and went for a ride. I will confirm the spark when i get back into town. I belie i do though because after 15 good kicks it fires a nice plume of smoke out with a little pop like it wants to start.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the flywheel keyway is broken.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Sounds like the flywheel keyway is broken.
If that is the case, does the flywheel get pulled to see if its broken or is there a trick.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 PM

Yes pull the flywheel
Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 AM

Angry Really need help now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celler View Post
Yes pull the flywheel
I pulled the sprak plug and confirmed a bright blue fat spark. I then pulled the fly wheel off and it appears the key is in good shape. Unless some one can confirm, after looking at the pic, that the key has been sheered i guess i will need to move on to the next idea. Any help is much appreciated. My next thought is tho just redo the timing since i have everything pulled off...any ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flywheel Key.jpg (25.6 KB, 71 views)
Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 AM

That is what the key is supposed to look like. + if you a good blue spark then ignition isn't your issue. Wise to look at the 'last thing you worked on' first though. I'd look at a fuel issue or check compression. Any history on top end service? Low compression is a no-no on a 2 stroke starting
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM

Default A run down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1956 View Post
That is what the key is supposed to look like. + if you a good blue spark then ignition isn't your issue. Wise to look at the 'last thing you worked on' first though. I'd look at a fuel issue or check compression. Any history on top end service? Low compression is a no-no on a 2 stroke starting
I have rebuilt the carb twice and it is recieving fuel properly. When i pull the plug after kicking it 10 to 15 times it is wet without an buildup, for some reason it just wont fire. On the 10th to 15th kick the bike does a nice big puff of smoke si i believe that combined with how it feels, tells me i have good compression.

The bike has always run perfect untill i added the flywheel weight, it ran for 1 trip throught he neighborhood then would not restart.

The only other thing i kinda messed with was the green kill swtich wire. It was not running to anything so i clipped it a little shorter to hide it. I think the green is the ground.

In reagrds to the kill switch, it worked fine as it was because i always use it to cut the bike off. The only thing i can think is..maybe the green wire was connected to the black kill switch wire i a loop somehow. I have not troied to rewire it this way, when i was trouble shooting this as a possible issue i just unplugged the kill switch all together. Any thoughts.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:18 PM

There's alot of dirt on that main bearing seal and possibly oil. The dirt can damage the seal lips, causing an air leak. Is there any up / down movement in the crank bearings ?