Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > Other GasGas Bikes/Quads

Other GasGas Bikes/Quads Trials, Pampera, Wild HP, etc.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 PM

Default Looking for feedback on a '95 GasGas JT25

I'm considering buying my bosses old '95 JT25 and give trials a try... or use it as a trail bike. Other than the need to replace the rear brake master cylinder the bike should be in top shape. Gonna give it a good look over next week... what should I be looking for and would this be a good buy for $1000?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:31 PM

Nobody still riding their JT25?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Administrator

This website is mainly focused on the enduro models. I suggest you try trials central...

jeff
Old 05-13-2011, 12:42 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

i too wanted to give trials riding a go.
although i am not familar with that gasgas model, i remember reading that they are practically bulletproof.
another common theme was that the bike and their differences are not as noticeable from model to model as an enduro.
my friend and i both got the same bike at the same time [2001 gasgas txt280] and soon had the same experience.....we are by far the weakest element in the equation of riding. it kicks our butts everytime.
i think you would be hard pressed to find a newer bike for the price you stated.
some things you may need to do on an older trials that a newer one might not need would be springs and possibly tires.
i think its a buyer market for most bikes now, and especially an older trials.
if it were me, i would try to get it so that my price with all the updates [possible springs, tires, mc, etc] is at the price you stated.
if you have to put some decent money into it, then you might as well get a newer one that doesnt need all the work.
i also dont look at buying used dirt bikes as well ....buying used dirt bikes.
i see it as changing money into another form, like some people do with gold.
its hard to climb a hill on a gold coin, but then again, its unlikely it will send you the hospital.
a word of caution, dont think that you can ride without gear like you will see on youtube.
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300
Old 05-13-2011, 08:44 AM

I'm not familiar with that model either, but looking at some google'd pics of one it looks very capable. I bought my 1st trials bike two seasons ago now (03 beta) and had no idea what to look for. I asked around and was told pretty consistently to seek out a 2001 or later model, since the technology made a pretty good advance around that time. All said I'd love trials and would want a bike that wouldn't hold me back. Similar to what GasGasDreamer says my bike is far more capable than I am, as I suspect even the 1974 TY250 I was originally looking at would be as well.

The JT25 looks like it would be plenty capable and I'd say if it's in good shape that would be a good deal. I'd say go for it. The fact you know the owner makes its even easier since anything you find wrong he didn't tell you about you can hammer on him. I see you are already checking out the Trials Central and TT sites. Sometimes it takes a bit to get responses at TC.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:49 AM

I'm a avid trials rider who likes to lurk on some enduro sites A 95 jt 250 would be a good starter bike if its in good shape its probably worth a thousand. $1000 to $2500 dollar bikes are in big demand i have a nice 2010 300 priced reasonable and no one calls about it not much demand for top end. If ridden for in actual trials use they are pretty much indestructible same way for trail use but if you are a top level rider and want to blow everybody away on the single track and rough terrain for fun then you can destruct it pretty easy. If you ride actual sections for 1 hour it will cost you about 25% what riding an enduro bike for an hour will. You probably will either fall in love with it and upgrade to a newer model or become frustrated and sell it for what you gave for it. Here is a link of local clubs across the US if you want to shop for bikes.

http://www.trialsclubs.us/