Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:55 PM

Default thinking about a toy hauler toyhauler

I'm starting to think about getting a toy hauler. I don't know what models are good and which are bad. I will be looking for a used model.
I have a 2004 dodge 2500 diesel truck to pull it. I have a family of four.

I think I want:
bumper pull
~24ft
queen front bed
twin electric queens in rear. Ideally easy to sleep 8 people.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:41 AM

Do you have a class A California license?

I've had both, pull behind and 5th wheel trailers. Both were 24 foot, none of which were toyhaulers.

I have a few friends that have Arctic Fox toyhaulers, they like them. Construction seems to be very good and well made.

The 5th wheel trailer will tow better, less sway, less hassle to couple and couple. Greater turning radius and when the hitch is installed properly will distribute weight more evenly onto your steering axle, better stopping and handling.

Receiver hitch trailers have a greater overall length, thus reducing turning radius. Requires " EZ Lift" type hitch, with weight distribution bars and the need for sway control.

Toy handlers are designed to carry more net weight and are generally heavier than conventional rv trailers.

5th wheels have a much nicer bed for adults, over the king pin area, which generally are a queen size. The benefit is not having to pull out the bed and put it away in order to get around in the trailer. The5th wheel bed does not require to be made and put away after a night's rest.

5th wheels tend to have more storage area as well.

After owning both, I'd never go back to a pull trailer!

The reason I ask about the class A license is because you can tow a additional trailer behind 5th wheel or pull type trailer as long as you don't exceed state length laws. I towed a 24ft 5th wheel with a Ford 150 and then my motorcycle trailer with 2 bike's behind my 5th wheel. I also would tow my 14ft Gregor aluminum fishing boat as well. It is legal and can be done. The reason I mention this is, "x" amount of living space is taken up by the "toy area". I know that beds fold down and the kitchen table area is now bike storage area.
To me it is a hassle. Been camping / riding with friends who had toy haulers and they seem to be always moving stuff around to eat or sleep. Just my observations. Again never owned one so I may be talking crap.

If you go to the DMV you can get info on getting a non commercial combination license. Which will allow you to tow combinations with a pickup truck.

Check out Trailer Life magazine as a guide.
Hope that helps.....
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals

Last edited by Rick; 03-13-2014 at 12:54 AM. Reason: opps
Old 03-13-2014, 02:12 AM

I have a lumber rack on my truck, so a 5th wheel would be a pain.....
but I've seen a few nice looking adds for 5th wheel toy haulers for about $10k...
Old 03-13-2014, 07:19 AM

FWIW I had a 30' Keystone Hornet Hideaway, bumper pull & no slide out, and it was very cramped for the 2 of us. We occasionally had my 18 year old son and that added to the restrictions. The Hornet has a separate garage which may have contributed to that but my point is that a 24' may be a bit small for a family of 4. However if your choice doesn't have the separate garage it might work. I pulled the Hornet with a Ford Excursion and while I like my current F350/5th wheel toy hauler setup better, I didn't have any issues pulling the Hornet
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 AM

I want to really stress what Rick is talking about... I have owned a 30' toy box with a bumper pull - NEVER again, only fifth wheel. I have two different friends who's bumper pull yanked them off the highway and almost killed a friends wife... far to dangerous for my taste! It spooked me so much I spent 15k on a cheap motorhome!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:43 AM

My two cents. Once you go gooseneck or 5th wheel you'll never go back. (larger trailer of course) The truck sits much more level and they tow so nice in the wind and semi traffic. I love my 40' race car trailer.
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Old 03-13-2014, 08:24 PM

I live in a 32 ft bumper pull toyhauler with a large slide-out for most of the year, and while the comments above regarding 5th wheels are correct, they also have some disadvantages. For instance they are very high, and the height of truck and trailer must match exactly. Tough if you want to lift the trailer, which you probably will to have access to more riding areas.
Main disadvantage and my reason for not getting a 5er: can't use the bed of the truck. Very inconvenient!
With a high-end hitch with anti-sway and weight distribution, a bumper pull tows just fine in any situation I came across in the past 17k miles. Certainly better than a combo with a second trailer. This option would limit your access a lot.
Tip: Forget the generator and get an industrial type solar system. Best investment in a long time!
1990 Yamaha XT 600

Last edited by flo; 03-13-2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroNut View Post
I want to really I have two different friends who's bumper pull yanked them off the highway and almost killed a friends wife...
I remember that, like it was yesterday.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
I remember that, like it was yesterday.
Was this due to weather or mechanical? I only ask because I pull a funfinder xt-247 (4710 lbs dry) with a 2013 F150 crew 4x4. I bought a high end blue ox hitch setup and it pulls great, but we've only towed around 1700 miles so far.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:37 PM

Whether GN, 5w, or BP...Experience has a lot to do with what happens when things start to go wrong. Most folks I know, are relatively new to any sort of large trailer have no idea how to use the brakes, trailer brakes, or tow vehicle trans. That said, I pull around livestock, which makes someone's day very interesting when things turn south on a NB route.