Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:02 AM

Default 2019 EC300 Bendix cover removal?

My 2019 EC300 starter has stopped working properly on only the second day of riding, so I'm going to do the "wet mod", but I want to pull the bendix out to make sure that nothing is binding.
The problem is that I can't get the Bendix cover off! Do I have to pull the circlip out(part 22 in pic) first, before disassembly, or should the cover come off easily?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxfy6hx345...endix.jpg?dl=0

Last edited by BenS; 10-14-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenS View Post
My 2019 EC300 starter has stopped working properly on only the second day of riding, so I'm going to do the "wet mod", but I want to pull the bendix out to make sure that nothing is binding.
The problem is that I can't get the Bendix cover off! Do I have to pull the circlip out(part 22 in pic) first, before disassembly, or should the cover come off easily?
The cover just has three bolts and pops right off. It sits on there pretty tight so it takes a little effort. In the lower front corner there is a little tab you can use to lightly pry it. I usually just use the open end of a 10mm wrench
Old 10-13-2019, 12:57 PM

What is the starter doing?
Old 10-13-2019, 10:19 PM

Thanks TGM. Yeah, I've tried prying the cover off, but it seems to be stuck to the bendix shaft. I'll spray some CRC in there to try to get it to loosen up.
The bendix gear isn't throwing out to the flywheel gear half of the time, so it usually takes two presses of the button to get it started. I've got a lifepo4 charger, so I'll charge the battery after each ride to make sure it spins fast enough.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenS View Post
Thanks TGM. Yeah, I've tried prying the cover off, but it seems to be stuck to the bendix shaft. I'll spray some CRC in there to try to get it to loosen up.
The bendix gear isn't throwing out to the flywheel gear half of the time, so it usually takes two presses of the button to get it started. I've got a lifepo4 charger, so I'll charge the battery after each ride to make sure it spins fast enough.
I suspect your two problems are related. Sounds like the bendix is binding in the bendix cover which would cause the bendix to not turn fast enough to engage the flywheel. The bendix usually comes out with the cover though. I would try to get that off and clean it all up. If you have a dremel you can lightly polish the inside of the bendix cover and then lightly grease it all. I actually got an AS3 bendix cover and it seems to help it start smoother and easier.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:39 AM

Yeah, most likely related. It sounded like something was wrong from new, and I was actually expecting to find teeth broken off when I pulled it apart!
I wasn't expecting to have trouble with it, I thought the problems had been sorted from the 2018 model.
Yeah, I'll give it a polish in there. I've been reading up on the 2018 model threads regarding starter troubles. I'll definitely be doing the "wet mod", and I think they should come from the factory like that.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:58 AM

I've finally got the bendix cover off, it took a few taps with a hammer.
Even though the inside of the cover has been machined to make room for the bendix, it looks like it's been rubbing a bit. Parts 20 and 17 felt like they had small metal pieces interfering with their meshing, and they even locked up sometimes as I turned them by hand. I think I've managed to flush the pieces out, and I think the "wet mod" should help to flush any shavings out, as well as prevent shavings.
I'll probably drill and tap a hole in the bottom of the stator cover too, to put a little drain plug in, so that I can do oil changes easily.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:13 AM

You say the bendix isn't throwing out!
When you manually inspected it, does it feel like the bendix assembly doesn't work properly?
I've got a new EC300 Ranger 2019 and just had to sort my starter issue out.
My issue turned out to be the 2 right angle pinion cogs (items 20) not contacting properly due to the circlip (item 22)being dislodged at the bearing where the starter motor comes in.
According to the distributor it's a known issue.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:31 PM

Yeah, the bendix seems to be working properly, but I have seen a Youtube video in which the guy replaced the spring with a lighter one from a Honda bendix, which I wouldn't mind trying.
Yeah, the circlip is in place, and the gears are meshing ok, apart from having some debris in there.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:19 AM

Hi ben,

My starter was doing the same as yours, only working on the second tap of the button since new, almost a year without a starter and i decided to solved this no mather what.

Last night i took everything apart and inspected it very carefully, i discovered that the bendix cover, the hole where the shaft(part 16) that connects to the bendix, that hole is messed up, its not round as it's suposed to be, i also found that the bearing part 18 was also seized, i'm waiting on the parts from motocross center to test it, i'm very confident that this will solved the problem.

I will change the bendix cover and the 2 bearings. Inspect your bendix cover for any wear on both holes.