Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:07 PM

Question Seat replacement

I have a 2003 Gas Gas 250EC. I love everything about it except the seat. After about 15 minutes riding, I can feel the fiberglass seat base through the foam. I have read all of the posted threads on replacement seats, but they are somewhat dated. What are the latest options for seat replacement and what recommendations would you make?

Thanks

Harry

"Forever runnin against the wind"

Old 02-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I got told the 08 is better but not sure if it fits.
I bought a second hand 07 with a soft seat custom made by someone.
The seat was too soft so I pulled it apart rounded the edges and shaped the seat to my liking and then put the top layer of the softer seat which was approx 5-10 mm of medium desity foam over the existing.
The seat is now firm still but you can't feel the frame rails or seat base and not too firm that you feel like you are sitting on a concrete step.
Good luck.
Mark
Old 02-08-2009, 07:04 PM

The '07+ seats will not fit. The problem is that the '03 seat foam was soft, and also some of the 2-strokes (including my '03) had a 4-stroke seat base with the battery depression molded in, which made the foam very thin in that area. The foam fix is easy, GUTS or OEM foam from a newer bike. If you have the 4-stroke seat base you want to find the 2-stroke seat. Any seat base from '00 - '06 should work.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:52 PM

I bought a Gas Gas Halley 450 today and i find the seat to hard for my bottom, it's almost like sitting on a stone. I'm going to hear around on finding a replacement seat or pad it with a softer filling cause otherwise i can't ride my bike for more than a half hour without pain in the ass .
Old 10-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

This is why you should stand up while you ride..
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 10-13-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
The '07+ seats will not fit. Any seat base from '00 - '06 should work.
04 and later gas tanks don't stick up as high above the frame as the 01 and 02 models. It's about .75 inch lower at the front seat mount on the tank so I assume the seat pan is different as well.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:24 PM

Pulled my seat off after indiana national enduro to find my seat base is cracked.looked up gas gas on acerbis site and only 2003 came up for ec300. No mention of seats,anyone know if acerbis makes one of those one piece seats for 05 ec300? I'm on dial up and dont have time to download entire catalog. If not looks like oem seat base with guts tall foam&cover again. Hopefully I can order just the base?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 AM

Yes, I would like to find another seat too for my 2003 EC 300. The problem I'm having is that the seat isn't flat enough and you get kind of stuck when sitting down. It's irritating in corners also when you can't move forward properly.

I was wondering what kind of foam they use in the seat, if it would be possible to glue a new layer of foam onto the existing seat and then modify it the way I would like it.. would this be possible?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:37 AM

And does anybody know if the 08 seat foam would fit the 2003 base?