Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:31 PM

Sorry for my warped sence of humour I was being facetious.
I actually spent about 30 minits ogling the 15 250 which btw did have estart.
I bet desertgasser has a gas gas tatoo somewhere.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:50 AM

E-start is for street bikes.
Not offroad.I too see that the offroad crowd these days is a bit of a lazier and out of shape rider.

I hope nobody is feeling too awefully "bashed".
Old 05-06-2015, 02:57 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Wink

"I will stand by my opinion that electric start on a 2 stroke is for the lazy & inexperienced"
No argument here.I'm lazy,inexperienced & loving my first gasser with an e-start!
It's about selling bikes & keeping up or ahead of the competition.No point being a stoic hardcore brand & selling no bikes.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2taddict View Post
Checked out the 2015 300's and just by looking at them I was not that impressed to be honest. Lots of bells, whistles & bling, just hope they have balls.
I will stand by my opinion that electric start on a 2 stroke is for the lazy & inexperienced, the argument being if you would sacrifice riding all day with a extra 7 kilo's or so just in the off chance you may get stuck on the side of a hill or what ever once in a blue moon, or just want to push a button instead of kicking your bike over is no argument at all. E-start on a 200 WTF?
Never had e-start on 650 4strokes once, harden up, next you'll want heated hand grips.
I have a lot of back pain when I kick the bike. Therefore I ride with e-start.
So, should I remove my e-start just to be cool instead of a painless ride?
Old 05-06-2015, 06:02 AM

If someone says dirt bikes dont need e-start.If a guy thinks e-start on a 200 is a joke.Where does it end?
Maybe we could get fat lazy addicted to video games, computers, Facebook and texting 300 times a day American youth outside and playing more if we just made the pw 80 a little easier to start.

A guy reserves the right to have that opinion without somebody else feeling too "bashed" about it.
That could be taken and applied to just about anything.
I happen to think the Cadillac Escalade is one of the highest priced and overated pieces of plastic crap of a car-suv-folding truck bed thing you could waste $70,000 on.
Anybody feeling to awefully bashed?

"The pussification of America"
That is a Dick Burleson quote.
And he said it quite a few years ago.
I agree with him.

Nobody was being "called out".
It was a broad generalization, one I agree with as do many others.
Nobody needs to take those kind of statements or characterizations personally.

If you like the e-start good for you.If you think you gotta have it; somebody out there agrees with you because they make alot of them in a wide range of models.
If you think it helps you on big hills, awesome.

I dont.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:34 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Regarding e-start topic, personally I dont need it right now but with a very worn out 52 year old right knee, the day will come to where I rely on a button to start the bike 100% of the time, so its nice to know I have the option. Its also very nice to have that magic button when Im crossed up on the side of a hill, and cant reach the kicker. If you have never been in that situation, then youre not riding very challenging trails.

Are we getting lazy? You bet! Look at ATV sales 5 years ago, verves now. Where did those customers go??? They now buy SXS and why? It?s an even easier machine to operate.

In a previous life, I remember sitting in a meeting when the news of an e-start 2 stroke dirt bike would be introduced in a few years. I was the first to laugh out loud and claim this would do nothing but raise the cost of bikes while doing nothing to increase sales. My opinion was anyone who couldnt kick start a 250/300 2 stroke, needed to find something else to do on Sunday. I was so wrong!!! Bike prices are going to increase regardless, and riders who had entered the sport with buying a e-start 4 stroke, only to find the maintenance costs too much for their wallets, ended up switching over to the 2 stroke with a button. Now, we see 2 manufacturers offering models without a kicker, and that trend will continue, like it or not.

The big picture is this. In an continually shrinking market, the manufacturer must #1. Keep their current customers buying off-road motorcycles (aging riders) #2. Lure in new customers with user friendly products. That being said, the sport now has more females riding off-road than ever before, and older rider are staying involved longer.

I just wish lower prices for bikes were on that list...
Old 05-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have e-start mostly due to me being vertically challenged. Although I kick it more often than not. When I rode a 4st I almost always hit the button.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:54 AM

Smile

If you like the e-start thats great.
If it makes you a better rider great.
Is it a neccesary feauture on any level no.
The past is a testament to that fact.

That being said.Who friggin cares.
Point is.If someone says making a 200 offroad bike with e-start is a bit silly.
Nobody should take that personal and get their panties all in a wad.
Might be a connection there.A case could be made for that.

"You can attack an idea, but not a person"
Its a good forum rule, Ive seen it broken before depending on who was saying what.
Not based on what was being said.

Back to the e-start debate.Its been said by some of you that anybody who doesnt feel a need for it must not ride technical steep terrain.
Anybody who thinks that can give me a call on their next swing out west.We have some
Ptetty big mountain ranges we ride out here.
Your e-start Isnt gonna save you on these climbs.It Isnt a hillclimb if you can get going again on the hill, I dont care how you start the bike.Its back down and try again or its back down and around and in some cases its back down to the truck.Bu bye and thx for playing.Now some of you may not like to hear that.Too bad, their is plenty of truth to what Im saying.
Its a broad generalization.No one person or specific group is being bashed.Non e-start guys will have the same issues.
E-start might help you on steep trails if you stall the bike or make alot of mistakes.
You can watch hundreds and hundreds of hours of guys riding in ISDE and World Class Enduro events without every saying dang, shouldve had the e-start.
Theres some guys you wont make a case for it with.

I do not have a problem with e-start bikes at all.What my personal issue with it is.The reason I give a crap either way is.They are making bikes now for offroad riding that only have e-start.Its becoming more then just an option in the industry.
I gotta have the kicker out there in it.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:18 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

What state and where? Not trying to call anyone out, I just enjoy that type of riding.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:51 AM

I wouldnr take it that way VZ.
Oregon and Wahington has good stuff.
The Trask between Portand and the coast would be a good place to come hang out for a week and do some riding.

Southern Oregon has some great stuff too.
You are welcome anytime.