Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:41 AM

Default Questions on a new bike? 2010 EC300

Hi All,

I am really enjoying the lightness and handling of this bike but I have a few issues.
The engine is around 20hrs.

1) Clutch slipping: I think the clutch is slipping/noise when I need more torque (uphills, or riding one gear higher etc). I am using Motul Transoil 10W30 as recommended by many. I was told to use non-syn oil not to cause clutch slipping. Do you know what might be causing it?

2) Oil from silencer: I am using 1:40 ratio Motul 800. Should I be using 1:50 ratio as stated on the manual? After 1 or 2 rides, the engine does not start-up at first kick, but it takes several. If I change the spark plug, it starts-up at first kick again. Maybe the rich ratio fouling the plug? By the way, plug insulator is all bright white. Should I be using a hotter plug?

3) Old mixture in tank: This is my first 2T. I drain the mixture after each ride. It takes extra time. Is it ok to leave it in tank for next week's ride?

4) Horn: I am looking for an elegant but not-so-expensive horn solution to my bike. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Burhan

Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 AM

1. I tend to think if your clutch is making noise you are not using it properly. This means use a lower gear so you are not loading it too much. That being said, try some different oils to see if one might work better. There are discussions here about clutch hubs, baskets, etc and changing parts would likely help. Most say it's only noise and the clutch still works OK and lasts fine, so it's not a big problem.

2. You may get extra spooge from 40:1 as compared to 50:1, no harm in trying a 50:1 ratio. Your jetting is probably on the rich side and needs to be changed.

3. I think your gas should be OK for up to two weeks. Your bike might not run as crisp, but it should be OK. Do you really need every last bit of power from the engine? If so them maybe fresh gas every ride is worth it.

4. Eric Russell can get you a cheap DC horn. Using a small bridge rectifier fully isolated should make that horn work well. I can help you with this if you're not in a rush.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Thanks, Neil.

1. I abused my 4T Husky's clutch and did not hear any noise or experienced any slipping. I think it actually slips when I try to launch on 2nd gear with some rev on a gentle uphill.
I dont want to drop to 1st gear on a 300. I wanted 300 expecting I will have some usable low end torque that would help me change gears less frequently.

Burhan
Old 05-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by binsel View Post
Thanks, Neil.

1. I abused my 4T Husky's clutch and did not hear any noise or experienced any slipping. I think it actually slips when I try to launch on 2nd gear with some rev on a gentle uphill.
I dont want to drop to 1st gear on a 300. I wanted 300 expecting I will have some usable low end torque that would help me change gears less frequently.

Burhan
it should not slip on 2nd gear launch. uphill or not. it really shouldn't slip or groan no matter how much you abuse it.. i would check your clutch springs/friction plates and see what they look like.

i don't know how you're geared, but i seriously doubt 1st gear is very useful...you should be able to pull just about anything from a dead stop in 2nd or 3rd or maybe even 4th gear.. from my experience 13/50 or so gearing and you can roll around almost entirely in 2nd/3rd/4th gear in the tight stuff.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 05-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Banned

Burhan,
I agree with Stainless. 13/50 will help.
Clay
Old 05-18-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Burhan,
I agree with Stainless. 13/50 will help.
Clay
It's stock; 13/48 now.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:49 PM

Make sure the adjustment screw on the clutch is nearly all the way out or the master cylinder will not work properly affecting the clutch.

I am test using straight 30 weight oil and the transmission and clutch both seems smoother. I get hardly any drag or noise with 30w.

I use Yamalube 2R for premix, at 36:1. I do leave it in the bike for next week's ride as it has a fuel stabilizer. I would not leave it longer than 30 days.

I am using an NGK BR8EG spark plug, my bike takes about 3 kicks when it is cold, and 1 or 2 when it is hot. I haven't fouled a plug yet but I use my own jetting which is a tad leaner than stock.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default 10' 300

Have had my 10' 300 for four months now.

Never had any clutch groaning, although I have had it on several bikes in the past, both 4t and 2t but it only occured when they were cold.

My 300 just about always starts on first kick. Yours sound tough to start and you are having excessive spooge issues and there is an apparent lack of power- maybe your jetting is super rich?

There is a good 2010 300 jetting thread on this site, I found it very imformative and have gotten mine pretty close to pefect.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Hi ,Got about about 45hrs on mine.I run the specified GRO oil & no clutch issues at all.Agree with Bailey28 about the adjustment screw.
The Motul transoil didn't go well in my '02 300 gasser.
I also run motul 800 at 50:1.Don't try & clean the motor up with different ratios,just get the jetting right.Plenty of info here on that.I put a JD kit in.
I replaced the Denso plug with an NGK irridium,no fouling ,no starting problems.Most concerned about the BRIGHT WHITE insulator,something is really wrong,that means super lean.Can you post your jetting specs,some of the guys here can sort it out straight away.
What the hell is the horn all about? Solution-Remove the horn with about a metre of wire from it.Swing it around above your head while passing orange bikes.Scares the crap out of them.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

I agree. You describe rich conditions, but then say your plug is reading lean. Before changing plugs or oil ratios at least have a dig into your carb and see whats in there in terms of pilot, needle, clip pos, and main. You should be able to get a good indication of where you are, and where others are from there. If not at least we have some more info to work with.

Clutches will squark. I have made mine do it twice only in 1600km. First time in mud, second in rooty step ups. Both times I was working it harder than I probably should have been. I don't blame it for making noise.