Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 AM

My Wife and I just picked up a pair of new left over 2010's at very good price(Trek fuel ex 8 and a Cannondale Rize 120 3). We just need the snow to melt so we can start are riding/training............

Cannondale RZ 120 3 (lefty)

Old 01-24-2011, 02:54 PM

Those are both very nice bikes that will not give you any excuses
Old 01-24-2011, 07:17 PM

Default cross-training irony...

i've been riding mountain bikes since the mid-80s. they are what took the place of dirt bikes when i first moved to the states from new zealand, and then they became a source of income in one way or another, and have remained so since then. i've mellowed out a lot in the last decade, and gone from pretty fit race shape to regular rider with about 10 more pounds on my middle than i want. but i can still rip out a 30 or 40 mile dirt mtb ride without feeling too bad.

the weird thing for me is that there is some crossover benefit in terms of riding dirt bikes, but all the mountain bike miles don't do a damn thing for me when i get back on the moto after some time off. i went out friday for five hours on my brand new leftover 2010 300, and it kicked my ass seven ways into next week. the mid-deep isometric squat that is part and parcel of dirt biking hurts my legs in ways that pedaling will never help, and no amount of singletrack on a bicycle will cure the forearm pump at the beginning of the ride and the tired shoulders at the end.

only cure for me is to ride more dirt bikes! could be worse fates.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtothef View Post
i've been riding mountain bikes since the mid-80s. they are what took the place of dirt bikes when i first moved to the states from new zealand, and then they became a source of income in one way or another, and have remained so since then. i've mellowed out a lot in the last decade, and gone from pretty fit race shape to regular rider with about 10 more pounds on my middle than i want. but i can still rip out a 30 or 40 mile dirt mtb ride without feeling too bad.

the weird thing for me is that there is some crossover benefit in terms of riding dirt bikes, but all the mountain bike miles don't do a damn thing for me when i get back on the moto after some time off. i went out friday for five hours on my brand new leftover 2010 300, and it kicked my ass seven ways into next week. the mid-deep isometric squat that is part and parcel of dirt biking hurts my legs in ways that pedaling will never help, and no amount of singletrack on a bicycle will cure the forearm pump at the beginning of the ride and the tired shoulders at the end.

That's funny, I get a big benefit from riding the mt. bike when I ride my moto, but the reverse is not true.
Fitness in any manner helps, but there's nothing like doing the discipline you're training to do for getting into shape for that particular event.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 01-25-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
That's funny, I get a big benefit from riding the mt. bike when I ride my moto, but the reverse is not true.
Fitness in any manner helps, but there's nothing like doing the discipline you're training to do for getting into shape for that particular event.
i might have been speaking from a warped perspective when i wrote that, since my thighs felt like i'd been doing kettlebell lifts in hell from the moto ride on friday. also, most of the people i ride moto with are also primarily mountain bike riders, and are almost all as fit or fitter than me, so it's hard to judge how we compare to non-riders.

i do recall when i was doing hare scrambles a few years ago how large numbers of racers seem to come unglued toward the end of a couple hour race, whereas my cycling buddies and i seemed to be able to maintain our pace...
Old 01-25-2011, 10:42 AM

A
Quote:
i might have been speaking from a warped perspective when i wrote that, since my thighs felt like i'd been doing kettlebell lifts in hell from the moto ride on friday. also, most of the people i ride moto with are also primarily mountain bike riders, and are almost all as fit or fitter than me, so it's hard to judge how we compare to non-riders.

i do recall when i was doing hare scrambles a few years ago how large numbers of racers seem to come unglued toward the end of a couple hour race, whereas my cycling buddies and i seemed to be able to maintain our pace...
Exactly.
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 03-03-2012, 02:47 AM

Quote:

Hey guys, this is my first post here and thanks for all the great info.

I am just getting started in the moto world and DH MTB has been my life for the last 15 years. Maybe downhill mtb riding is better cross training for the arm pump and squat position. I was hoping the DH stuff would cross over but I am just getting used to my new to me 2009 GasGas EC 300.

Here is some of the stuff I do on a DH bike that I am hoping will help me on the moto.

I think I have a long way to go before I am sending it like on my mtb.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:53 PM

WOW! Great photos man!! I love the one of you looking down at the folks as you gap that road!

By the way, I read through this entire thread. I have since purchased a single speed 29er and barely ever ride my full suspension bike. Strange how we ebb and flow through the things we like and do...
OMRA #21AA
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 08-10-2012, 10:09 PM

For quick rides I have two choices - mtn bike or ride the trials bike in the backyard. Real dirt buike riding is an hour away min. Mtn biking does so much more for fitness but moto riding helps my mtn biking more than the other way around.
It's all good.
10 Beta Evo 290 trials
02 E440 Cannondale plated
Old 08-16-2012, 12:56 AM

Buckow your nuts.