Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 05-11-2013, 05:32 PM

Default '10 Sachs forks...change?

I have the 48mm Sachs forks which have been revalved and the tech's sticker says to run 12.5 oz of oil, which is way lower oil level than recomended. They are ok.
My question is: Can I, or should I, try to obtain other forks that would fit in my triple clamps? I quess they would be real expensive...

Old 05-11-2013, 06:33 PM

I'll trade you for my 2011 45mm zokes
Old 05-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by estwudsracer View Post
I have the 48mm Sachs forks which have been revalved and the tech's sticker says to run 12.5 oz of oil, which is way lower oil level than recomended. They are ok.
My question is: Can I, or should I, try to obtain other forks that would fit in my triple clamps? I quess they would be real expensive...
Open chamber forks should be set by the air gap/oil level (spring removed, fork collapsed), and not by volume. The oil level will mostly effect the bottoming resistance of the fork and the last part of the stroke. I'd suggest discussing further with the tuners if the fork isn't doing exactly what you want. Sometimes it'll take a few attempts to get it just right and even if you do change to another fork you may still have to go through all the setup.

Ohlins make TTX inserts for the 48mm Sachs legs, but they'll set you back a couple dollars. For less you can usually source a full YZF front end and get the KYB SSS forks. The whole triple clamp and front end bolts right on.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:07 AM

I'm not sure what your asking? Are you saying the forks are ok as they are?

Re the oil as Jake said the Sachs are set by the air gap. I guess if you measured the amount of oil it took to get you to that air gap... But it's much easier just collapsing the forks filling it full of oil, bleeding the air out of the cartridge then sucking the oil back out to whatever air gap you want it set to. Plenty of you tube videos on the above if you're unsure.
I believe standard air gap is 110mm. I'm currently running 115mm but about to drop it to 120mm as I still don't use all of my travel.
If you aren't happy with the forks they can be made to work quite well. I'm a hack with no idea what I'm doing and after 4 revalves I'm very close to being very very happy with them. See here for details: http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14121

Only downside to doing it yourself is you need a tool to crack the cartridge and get at the mid valve, and shims are bloody hard to find.
There are also plenty of tuners who are familiar with the Sachs depending on where you're located.

Or if you really want to get different forks it'd be hard to beat this: http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14921

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC