Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:48 PM

Default Off idle bog in gear not in neutral

So I've been battling this condition for a while and can't seem to dial it in. It seemed to have started when I changed/cleaned a few things. New reeds (old ones were still in decent shape) , new pipe flange O ring, re-packed muffler and took a torch to the really gummed up perforated inner tail pipe, raised the carb float to level, and lastly installed a Clake Prolever.

I think that it started to run a bit lean, as it was boiling rather easy so I raised the needle a clip and also had a rad cap that tested bad so I replaced it with another 1.8bar.

I'm at the point now where I'm trying to fine tune the air screw but can't seem to find the sweet spot (it ran great for a few years till I made the above alterations). I can get it to where when it's idling in neutral the throttle response is nice and crisp and with it still running if I drop it into gear it's still crisp. But if I leave it in gear and turn the bike off and start it again, the idle rate drops down and the off idle bog seems flat and boggy, which i think indicates a lean condition, but seems to run more poorly if I try to richen it with the air screw.

Could there maybe be more drag on the clutch with the Clake installed causing issues? When I can get the response crisp it seems that I have to have the idle set faster than it used to be. Is there a relation between idle speed and throttle response?

2011 EC 300E
PWK 38
168 main
38 PJ
N3CH needle middle clip
#7 slide

Old 10-13-2015, 11:34 PM

Would the throttle cable free play have any impact on this issue? I checked it out and I have pretty much no freeplay on the throttle cable. The adjusters on both ends of the cable are turned all the way in. I can't say if I ever had any to begin with.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:54 PM

I've noticed that it revs nice in neutral with the idle turned up slightly faster than it used to be, but if i drop it into gear and slowly let out the clutch lever, the idle drops and the bog returns.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:26 AM

Have you checked your reeds? You're also more likely to get "bogging" from a rich condition, lean tends to raise the revs and not feel powerful with a "BOOOWAAAAHHHHHH" noise, yours sounds like it may be fluffing? A video would help a lot
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450
Old 04-08-2016, 12:02 AM

https://youtu.be/jaKA2vzAlWg
Old 04-08-2016, 02:56 AM

It seems to me it's caused by minor clutch drag and you should not worry about it. My bike behaves just like that as well. The engine has significantly less power at lower RPM and thus can't over come the drag. I don't think you will ever ride at such low RPMs and if the bike is moving there should be no problem at all. I think you will just have to learn to live with it since this little clutch drag is impossible to tune out. You can, however, change to different oil: http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/gear...valuation.html
Old 04-08-2016, 07:19 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

If it bogs with the clutch in, it will very likely bog while riding. From my experience off idle bog is related to being lean. You can tighten / close your idle air screw a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to see if it gets better. If that makes it worse, it is rich and you can open/loosen the idle air screw from the original screw position.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:21 AM

Double check the carb boots are on correctly and not letting air past? Or if it is clutch drag try back bleeding the clutch, inspect clutch plates (maybe shuffle some around, could try different oil as mentioned earlier. Hope you get it sorted out
Old 04-08-2016, 03:37 PM

Thanks guys. I sprayed brake cleaner around carb and didn't find any leaks.
I've been using drug store mineral oil in the Clake since I got it. I'll try some proper oil also and see how it goes. Any tips on what to flush it with?
Old 04-08-2016, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Its a normal symptom of an engine. At revs that low, when cracking the throttle there isn't enough signal or vacuum to pull the required fuel through to allow the engine to respond.

The FCR carbs on 4 strokes being more complicated use a squirt jet to overcome this issue by directly shooting a jet of fuel down the intake port. The PWK doesn't have this.

You could try richening it via the pilot/air jet and then possibly raising the idle up some more to compensate.

I also agree it's some slight clutch drag pulling the revs back down as you let it out and then re-pull it which is highlighting your symptoms. Do you experience it while actually riding?