Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyR
As far as "officially" street legalizing the 2Ts, it is NEVER going to happen. US and Canadian law states that no 2T over 50ccs can be again, "officially" street plated.
Can you point me to the specific US law you are referring to?

Old 07-26-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric K
Can you point me to the specific US law you are referring to?

Do a google search. There are tons of links regarding motorcycle emission standards. This is why all those scooters are 49cc. BTW, after 2010, they are banned as well.

A 2 stroke as we know it can NOT pass emission standards. I know that there is some experimentation with direct injection it will be way too cost prohibitive to make a 2 stroke pass. Snowmobiles are getting away with Semi direct injection but their standards are no where near as tough to meet as motorcycles and cars.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Do a google search. There are tons of links regarding motorcycle emission standards. This is why all those scooters are 49cc. BTW, after 2010, they are banned as well.

A 2 stroke as we know it can NOT pass emission standards. I know that there is some experimentation with direct injection it will be way too cost prohibitive to make a 2 stroke pass. Snowmobiles are getting away with Semi direct injection but their standards are no where near as tough to meet as motorcycles and cars.

I have read quite a bit on the emission standards. While they will be very tough for 2 strokes to meet, I did not see where they specifically state 2 strokes are banned.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:32 AM

The only 2 strokes that are allowed to be sold in the US right now must be deemed "closed course competition models". They are not allowed to have headlights, spark arrestors etc... This is the reason that KTM dropped the EXC line and went to the XCs for 06. According to the letter of the law, it is illegal to ride a 2006 and newer 2 stroke on public land. Fortunately, this law is not being enforced anywhere....yet.

Go over to KTM Talk and do a search on this topic. There are hours of reading with tons of links to the EPA and CARB standards.

Sadly, the US govt is NEVER going to let a 2 stroke on the road again.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:06 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Scotty are you sure they are not to be "sold" or not to be "imported" with headlights, spark arrestors, etc.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:08 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

The irony is they still let all the diesel buses, etc pump all that cr&p into the air, but a tiny 250cc motorcycle is such a risk to the environment.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
The only 2 strokes that are allowed to be sold in the US right now must be deemed "closed course competition models". They are not allowed to have headlights, spark arrestors etc... This is the reason that KTM dropped the EXC line and went to the XCs for 06. According to the letter of the law, it is illegal to ride a 2006 and newer 2 stroke on public land. Fortunately, this law is not being enforced anywhere....yet.

Go over to KTM Talk and do a search on this topic. There are hours of reading with tons of links to the EPA and CARB standards.

Sadly, the US govt is NEVER going to let a 2 stroke on the road again.
I want to be clear on what the US federal regulations cover.

US highway motorcycles are regulated under Title 40: Protection of Environment, PART 86—CONTROL OF EMISSIONS FROM NEW AND IN-USE HIGHWAY VEHICLES AND ENGINES. There are stringent emission requirements for highway motorcycles. However, there is no specific ban of 2 strokes from highway use. The regulation can be seen at...

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.1.5&idno=40

For off-road motorcycles, refer to US Federal Regulation, TITLE 40--Protection of Environment, PART 1051--CONTROL OF EMISSIONS FROM RECREATIONAL ENGINES AND VEHICLES. There are stringent emission requirements for off-road motorcycles. However, there is no specific ban of 2 strokes from public off-road use. The regulation can be seen at...

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...1.3.11&idno=40

Manufacturers of snowmobiles have made 2-stroke snowmobiles that meet the regulations. Motorcycle emission standards are tough to meet whether a 2-stroke or 4-stroke. Motorcycle manufacturers have chosen to use 4-stroke engines to meet the emission requirements. That does not mean that a 2-stroke engine can not meet the emission requirements. Injection technology continues to improve making lower emissions achievable.

For now, it appears that motorcycle manufacturers are not working to develop 2-stroke engines that comply with the new US emission standards. Perhaps, GasGas can do so by procuring the appropriate injection technology.

Last edited by Eric K; 07-27-2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:41 AM

Thank you all for the updates - I really would like to stick with a 07 300 Gas Gas that has Lighthts and a Spark Arrestor when I purchase it. My freind has a 06 KTM XC-W and bought the light kit and spark arrestor, but that adds more cost, but still an option. "Stop scarring me " I still have a grey area in my brain that is thinking 4 stroke, although I have never steet legalized any of my "real" dirt bikes before....
Old 07-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

I personally would rather have a full blown off road bike, than a compromised dual sport/off road bike.

How come this is not even an issue with the Japanese bikes?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:18 PM

Talking

For what it is worth..in Virginia if you get caught riding a 2 stroke in the national forest it is a 500.00 fine ..i race a 2 stroke in enduros,hare scrams,mx and i love them..i have a 05 de 300 and have a deposit on a new 07 300 gasser..but for dual sport riding a four stroke is the only way to go..i rode a gas gas 450 and was amazed at the power and feel..why would you want to buzzz down the street..when you could roar..i truly believe that gas gas should look into building a 350 4 stroke for the woods racer..i had a ktm 400 and they are just too much in the tight stuff..a 350 that weighed in around 240 had fuel injection with the same great handling chassis and suspension..wow ...well i can at least dream..thanks rick