Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_upright View Post

The problem is I seem to stall quite a bit which costs me time. This happens when i'm using the clutch in that (high) gear to negotiate a short slightly slower section or obsticle.
That's why I switched to a 200. To tame the 300 in the tight wet stuff I had to be in too high a gear even after all sorts of games with flywheels, G2 throttles, Pipes, jetting, compression and even ignition timing. The 300 is just too torquey off the bottom. The best result was from Pobit's jetting with the CCK needle. Even so was still just too pokey for me. On the 200 I can be in a lower gear, keep the revs way above stall speed and not have it pulling my arms off if I tweak the throttle.

The 300 was great fun at times but only at the beginning of races. At the end I found it the bike from hell. Not too bad in summer especially on fast courses. But combine tight trees, wet roots and wet soil ......

If you want to keep the 300 for the torque then you either need to get very good with the clutch or get a Rekluse.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:44 AM

Hi Ian - I remember talking to on here you a while ago when you still had the 300..

I think I'm too addicted to the power to get another 200 or 250f I think the power helps my riding style as well - very few gear changes and power to overtake people on the flat.

I'd consider a 250gasser for my next bike but not a 200. It's odd people assume I woudl be faster through the woods on a smaller bike but I feel faster on the 300 than on my KTM 200 in tight woods - just smoother more useable power and of course better brakes, clutch and suspension.. (of course)

My only problem really seems to be this stalling and balance/speed at the exit of turns or entry to hills.
'95 ish XR630 (died many times in Oz)
Old 12-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Banned

What about gearing? Taller gearing is off course going to give you a longer smoother spread of power. I rode with an fresh inch of snow on the ground on my 300 to 250 conversion which still had the 13-47 gearing.My ktm 450 ridding buddy Mark , who usually gives me fits, was left like chained to a tree. Its just laid it down. Mellow ,smooth and long. Sounds like I'm talking about a damm cigar!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:14 PM

I had the same problemson my old 300, Here's the list of things I did.

1, 12oz flywheel weight.- made it pull alot easyer off idle, and smothed the power low down.
2, G2 trottle cam - again more control, just made riding it easyer, especially when tired.
3, Idle speed - I turned up the idle by a few hundred rpm, I did this in the middle of an event, salling all the time in the morning, not a problem in the afternoon, it also helped the cluch cotrol. Very simple, big difference.
4, Gear ratio - I went up 2 teeth on the rear sproket, on the stuff we get in england where you almost stop before you turn, this will help. That is untill your confedent to carry more speed in the tight stuff.

Hope this helps. I loved my old 300.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Banned

I found that sometimes flywheel effect can be more of a liability than an asset. My experiance is that in anything exept super slow, wet, nasty dog paddling survival mode it doesn't do me much good, the bike wants to keep chugging forward at all costs. This in not the most effective way to set up for a quick turn. All that gyro wants to keep the bike going straight like a big old super tanker and if the revs are to low for the gearing , makes for a hacky, choppy onset of power delivary.I found that the top riders that I know rarely or ever add flywheel weight even on full blown mx bikes. You can learn their tecnique of carefull clutch and throttle action. It just takes lots and lots of practice and of course a well sorted out bike.

Last edited by widebear; 12-12-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_upright View Post
I think I'm too addicted to the power to get another 200 or 250f I think the power helps my riding style as well - very few gear changes and power to overtake people on the flat.
Well if you're quicker it can't be a big problem can it?

Yeah I miss being able to overtake on braking - struggle to get alongside on the 200. But what I lose early on I gain in enjoyment by not being so cream crackered towards the end. Not sure if my results have improved on the 200, think they have. I am certainly finishing races where many are DNFing due to tough conditions and I suspect I would too on the 300 - there were events I was so tired I just wanted to cry each time I nudged the gas accidentally. I did lose out at Canada Heights because the 200 was slow on the MX bits. Makes you cry to overtake in the woods, pull away and they guy overtakes you on a straight while you have it pinned in every gear! But for the SEEC series most events are very tight woods so the 200 I find better overall.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebear View Post
All that gyro wants to keep the big going straight like a big old super tanker .
hmmm I have a 10 oz fww on my 06 de 300 ....
The bike kind of feels "big" to me sometimes. That was one of the reasons I picked up my 02 husky 125. I wonder if I pulled off the fww if it might sashay through the woods a little easier. too bad it is winter now ... I'll have to wait april to try it.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:57 AM

I tuned my '05 300 for more low-end power and tamed it by dropping a tooth on the rear sprocket. Try out a #8 slide if you have the stock EC head. In combination with the LTR needle it was smooth and stalling was not an issue.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)
Old 12-18-2008, 06:51 PM

If you like to run two gears too high, you should try two teeth more on the rear, this will help it chug out of the really low rev's, and it almost sounds like you may want to try one size bigger pilot (maybe a little too lean down low).
What oil are you currently using in the gear box? i use 5/30 syntec, great clutch feel,not grabby, never fades under severe abuse.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Banned

Spot on jetting is so critical when it comes to being able to lug the bike.Guys I ride with are dumb struck by my ability to climb ugly rock faces with the revs barely above idle! I dont know of any other competition two stroke that can pull off the same gag. When you look at that small high velocity exhaust port on our bikes you start to understand why you can pull off those type of tricks. If I tried that on my old kx the tire would still be smoking.