Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:22 AM

Default still on the fence

And another question: I know GG makes great enduro bikes. How do they stack up in Hare Scrambles? Lots of guys here are on KTM XC-w's, so I'm sure the gassers can hang, but there are no more than 4-5 GasGas bikes at our events, which usually draw 450-500 riders. Those not on orange bikes are on MXers.
The main event at our races is only 2 hours over about 40 miles. No 90-mile enduro-type racing. I'm just trying to break the mindset I have been conditioned to having that Gassers aren't as fast as KTMs at hare scrambles.

Still shopping around, but the latest gasser I'm interested in is a 2004 EC300 DE with EFM autoclutch.

So how may of you are racing HS and how many racing enduro?

Old 11-05-2007, 10:27 AM

I think you need to decide on the terrain you are riding during your races. If it was wide open trails more of the GNCC style setup I would want a nice KTM but if it were nasty there is no second to the Gasser. But the KTM kick is way more aggressive on the hit and in an open format has an advantage, plus the new 250 and 300 with have the easy button on them so dead starts are no issue. Something to think about, as well. For all around though I wouldn't take a KTM over the GASGAS. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:57 AM

lots of tight single track in the eastern races, hills and gullies with a few rocks in the west. Average speed of my race does not exceed 20 mph.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:05 AM

Not many GGs at enduros either, its just the volume difference and herd mentality. I have an '07 250 and its very fast, you would have to be a top A rider to use all this bike has. Power is a non issue. The suspension is better than the KTM no matter what you do, enduro, hare scrambles, or trail ride. I ride a few hare scrambles a year and its great. The 6-speed trans is perfect, no compromises like the KTMs. Like any bike you have to set it up for your weight and terrain but its very versitle. Look at Jake Korn in NETRA. He got to the top on GGs and then I guess KTM threw money at him. The #2 guy is on a GG as well.

6 hour enduro, 2 hour hare scramble, doesn't matter. Ride both bikes in the rocks and roots for a few minutes and its a no brainer.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:21 PM

its mostly rider any how,we have member ryno on here finished first in A-light,and made AA this year on a GG 250,I missed second A-heavy by six points,took third for the year,on a GG 300,another member crem55 started this season on my old 200 GG in novice,got promoted to B halfway through the year,did a couple races in B-bantam,then bought an 02 GG 250 and finished out the season on it in B light with great results,he should have pointed out to A,but had a few problems on the way,he will wait till next season,he recently had a chance to test ride an 06 KTM 200,he felt the power was like a light switch either on or off,not very inspiring if your tired or just lugging the bike along when you come to an obstacles,he felt his 2000 GG 200 was much easier to ride in the tight stuff and I agree,its almost cheating how easy they go fast no matter how you ride them,dont let anyone tell you different about the gassers,especially KTM owners,they dont know any better
Old 11-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I race A in Enduro and Offroad ( Hare scrambles, GP's, Desert) here in Washington and have for several years most of them on a GAS GAS 300. I have a few class series jackets in both over the last few seasons missing AA enduro by 2 points last season. Our terrain varies drastically here from dense mountainous wet vegetation 1rst gear style terrain to dry desert whooped out 6th gear pinned style terrain depending where in the state your racing.

A Gas Gas works just fine. My 300 with the right input will hang with a 450 4t in the open,and quite frankly on fast courses with room to open it up with the 6 speed it will pull any 250 2t motocrosser down the straight. Its all about set up for the race and the pilot controlling the machine. Don't believe cause a KTM, Yamaha, Suzuki, or whatever has a GNCC style power band its gonna be the best machine in every condition or situation.Oh and most of us Gas Gas owners know that the reason why you see so many KTMs is they are the best machine going for the mainstream crowd not the fact that they are the best machine.

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:01 PM

Just completed a dry, dusty, sandy, gravely, rocky race here in Arizona. I test -rode an old 05 DE300 with LTR suspension and I couldn't believe how it smoothed out the rocks. More on that on the other thread.

The KTM riders were discussing the KTMs (07 vs 08). They are not in agreement on the merits of the '08 suspension and wonder if the dual chamber fork is "all that." Two A riders, after test riding an '08, are considering buying an in-stock '07.

Rick