Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:33 AM

Excellent feedback on the fork issue, guys!
I had heard that the Marzocchi's tend to dirty the oil quickly, but hadn't heard that about the Ohlins.

Thanks for the tips on where to look for loose bolts and the item about keeping the PV cover clean!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:21 AM

keep and eye on the radiator shroud bolts because they seize up easily. one of mine has just got to spend some time and fix it

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires
Old 10-18-2007, 05:13 AM

Bearman,

I noticed in your photos you have a cage type pipe guard. Is that the "Whipps" (sp) made in Austrailia? How do you like it?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:50 PM

I've never had a problem servicing the Ohlins forks on my '03 200... I just stick them in a box and send them to LTR. A week later I thank the UPS driver and stick them back on my bike. The Ohlins are a piece of cake to maintain.

All good recommendations. I love my '03 200. I had a 450 Husaberg for a while, but went back to my EC200.

I've set up narrow Renthal bars (KX80 bars) to sneak between the trees, and a BRP/Fastway/Scotts FIT system. Keeps the cockpit clean and with the mini bike bars, there isn't a lot of room.

LTR power valve cover does help the low end. I also put in the LTR jet kit and after tweaking for air temp, I've been accused of running a 250 with yellow plastic. While we're on LTR, put in the alloy hi-volume impeller too.

You'll want to locktite the kicker... they tend to vanish on the Gassers as well.

Get a wee bit longer throttle cable. Tight turns can get reeaally exciting with the stocker.

I've been running Evans coolant with good results for the last 2 years.

On long rides, you won't get as tired on a 300, but the 200 hops through the tight stuff like a bicycle.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:47 PM

Good tips all! I used to run mini-bike bars on my 250 because of the rise.
I usually cut my bars down to about 29" (plus the width of the barkbusters equal 30" total width) and I rarely get hung between trees - but there's not much room to spare for grips, levers, etc. . ., and I usually have to modify the barkbusters to allow the clamps to get a good fit around the bar.

We'll definitely check out the LTR add-ons you suggest. Does everyone agree that LTR is the place to send the Ohlins for service?

I think these may need a fluid change. The service manual I downloaded from the GG site appears to deal with servicing the 'zokes rather than the Ohlins.
Any suggestions on where I can get a manual on the Ohlins units?

Thanks again for all the good input. At this rate, I'll know my way around this bike in no time!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:03 PM

Les used to be active on this site... I haven't talked to him since I dropped my dealership last year. But my forks went out spongy, leaky, and messy and came back set up to the click for my terrain and weight. I just slid them in and went riding.

Somewhere, I have a .pdf manual for the Ohlins... I'm not going to guarantee I will ever find it though.

{edit} Duh, they are on this site in the manuals section. I assume you have the 48's.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/ohlins_48mm_enduro_fork.zip

{/ edit}
Old 10-19-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Bearman,

I noticed in your photos you have a cage type pipe guard. Is that the "Whipps" (sp) made in Austrailia? How do you like it?
I think it might be, but im not sure. my uncle's mate picked it up for me because i liked the one he had on his 300 (which is the same guard). Ill try and find out if it is the whipps.

I love it, its just a bit of protection against the logs. Definitely cheaper than a new pipe, and it doesnt stick out or look out of place.

'03 GasGas EC200 My bike
'89 Yamaha TT250 R.I.P - Lost in the Black Saturday Fires
Old 10-22-2007, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the link to the Ohlins fork manual - I suppose I could have looked it up
under the "manuals" page on this site, but that would have required elementary powers of observation.

On the subject of the forks, I've scanned the manual, but it doesn't appear to
indicate approximately how many cc's of fluid are required in each fork leg (it gives fluid height recommendations, but this doesn't help much when deciding how much fork fluid to buy). Also, any recommendations on what weight fluid for the woods? I usually run 3w or 5w fluid in my WP's and Showa's, but have never used the Ohlins before.

Also, I cleaned the external parts of the power valve behind the left side cover and it made a noticeable difference for the better in the bikes bottom end pull.
Why would a little rudimentary cleaning have such a pronounced effect?
Old 10-22-2007, 09:38 AM

Yo, bondo! It was good to see ya Sat. nite....are you gonna ride the Gobbler Getter?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:56 AM

Re-Post of questions from Monday, 10/23:

Thanks for the link to the Ohlins fork manual - I suppose I could have looked it up
under the "manuals" page on this site, but that would have required elementary powers of observation.

On the subject of the forks, I've scanned the manual, but it doesn't appear to
indicate approximately how many cc's of fluid are required in each fork leg (it gives fluid height recommendations, but this doesn't help much when deciding how much fork fluid to buy). Also, any recommendations on what weight fluid for the woods? I usually run 3w or 5w fluid in my WP's and Showa's, but have never used the Ohlins before.

Also, I cleaned the external parts of the power valve behind the left side cover and it made a noticeable difference for the better in the bikes bottom end pull.
Why would a little rudimentary cleaning have such a pronounced effect?