Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 AM

Default Small bike and ATV ban.

I don't know if anybody is up to speed on this issue but the CPSC has banned the sale of any bikes or ATVs primarily intended for use by children 12 and under by Feb 10th, 2009. Dealers cannot sell bikes or repair parts for any of the affected models. My understanding speaking to the Honda dealers is the CRF 50/70/80 is affected. Yamaha dealers told me all TTRs 125 and under plus anything else of small displacement are on the list

The owners of ThumperTalk have a petition to the CPSC. Please look into this issue. The repercussions aren't good.

Letters, phone calls and emails to our various representatives and to the CPSC are in order.

Thanks, Bill.

Note: Admin, if you could sticky this or create a new thread addressing this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm still dumbfounded at the sheer stupidity of our governmental officials.

Excuse me, I'll be right back. I need to make sure the kids aren't eating their dirt bikes.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:01 AM

Is there a particular reason they are doing this? Too many injuries or something? Because if so then pit bike companys could also be affected.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 strokes 4 life View Post
Is there a particular reason they are doing this? Too many injuries or something? Because if so then pit bike companys could also be affected.
This is strictly an issue over lead. As of next Tuesday no children's product can be sold unless it's certified lead free. It applies to virtually everything. It's so outlandish even public libraries have been told to either remove all children's books or forbid those 12 and under to enter the premises. Even thrift stores are having to pull all used items from their store shelves for kids or face a $100,000 fine for EACH item.

EDIT: They might have backed off slightly on thrift stores. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html
Old 02-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Some confusion here - it relates to products that contain lead - which some motorcycles and their associated parts contain.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/28january09_salesban.htm

Because of the confusion - the CPSC has delayed the implementation of the rule for a year to 2010.

jeff
Old 02-08-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Some confusion here - it relates to products that contain lead - which some motorcycles and their associated parts contain.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/28january09_salesban.htm

Because of the confusion - the CPSC has delayed the implementation of the rule for a year to 2010.

jeff
It's very unclear. The rules flat out state you cannot sell products without the certification. The interpretation by Honda's lawyers means every single part must be tested and labeled as being lead free. This even applies to nuts, bolts, cables, levers, plastic and even so far as to internal parts that the average consumer has no access to.

Maybe Honda is being too conservative but would you trust the government to not go after you and hit you with the biggest fines they could for additional revenue?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes with batteries can be included also.

I grew up around lead, heck, we even used to play with mercury.....sure was pretty rolling around in your palm.
I think I'm OK.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Bikes with batteries can be included also.

I grew up around lead, heck, we even used to play with mercury.....sure was pretty rolling around in your palm.
I think I'm OK.
did the same thing with mercury.... we are fine here in texas !!!
Old 02-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Come on Lawn Darts were by far the worst toy that could be given to a child. Those things could kill you without much problem. Now the lead based paints and what not I can not really see. Mostly any lead based paints used on motorcycles would only come from china. Not Japan.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 04:31 PM

wow that is as stupid as the tariff idea...
sounds like a ploy to increase scooter sales(for motors and parts lol)
i played in a puddle of mercury when i was a kid, it seeped up form an old mineshaft and contaminated the whole neighborhood. it cant be that bad, look at how i turned out, oh wait, thats a terrible example!
when i was 7 my xmas gift was a suction cup crossbow. i immediately broke the cocking mechanism, and proceded to shoot myself right in the eye trying to load it like an idiot. but i didnt get lead poisoning no sir!

FOR THE SECOND TIME 07 EC300 polisport headlight, acerbis taillight ltr pv cover and case saver,trailtech endurance,120z fww, g2 throttle,xr chain puck:
Old 02-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

You can bet that a bunch of lawyers lobbied and paid off some corrupt bureucrats or whoever to get this one rolling.This small example speaks volumes about whats wrong with the system.