Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:24 PM

Default 2011 ec250 isde engine noise

Hello I'm new here and new to the gasgas brand. I bought a 2011 ec250 six days bike back in the summer of 22. It ran good but the last guy wired the ignition through the headlight. So break the light and the bike dies lol. I've been riding 20 years and have never seen that. So I took it to a shop to have it wired properly. So we got a new harness for the lights and the ignition wiring was good. CDI coil and stator all work. The bike still runs good but it came out of the shop with like a whiring noise. It sounds like a turbo spooling. I've always rode smokers and have never heard this before. The shop of course can't hear it so no help there. the noise seems to be from the water pump area. They had the stator off the bike but the noise is from the other side. Doesn't matter in gear, clutched , in neutral all the same sound. A can't upload a vid of the sound or I would. Looking for any thoughts before I ride it and shred the motor. This motor has 39hrs on it. https://youtube.com/shorts/tuW6EpDHpUI?feature=share

Got the vid on here.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:20 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I would say possibly water pump impellor rubbing on the housing or is it the exhaust o-rings worn out?

A good way to locate it is to use a long screwdriver as a doctors stethoscope, put one end against your ear and move the other around the engine to locate the source of the sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U927cYhQXB4
Old 01-23-2023, 08:16 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I agree with Swazi Matt.

That being said, the noise does not sound horrible and I think at least a couple of our 8 GG bikes make a similar noise.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the speedy replies. I dumped the oil last night and it was mostly aluminium. There is a major rub on the clutch cover. So I put a bucket over the clutch and started the bike. Noise was gone. Put the cover back on and filled it and the noise is back. So it's just the outer edge of the basket rubbing I think. I'll flush it tonight, grind some of the cover away and try again. I'll post up some pics also.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:16 PM

I took the cover off again today. I took .040 off the outer edge where the rub was. Put it all back together and no more rub. But the noise is still there. Hopefully the cover was the source of the metal in the oil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230123_160851621.jpg (109.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230123_160905675.jpg (92.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230123_160932952.jpg (109.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-24-2023, 12:42 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

How's the bearing in basket? Does basket wobble much? Might be moving when running hitting the aftermarket cover. But weird.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 01-24-2023, 07:06 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

For sure check to see if the clutch retaining nut is loose and if there is play in the main shaft bearings. I think some of the Rekluse kits use an extra thick gasket for additional clearance. Is it possible you have a mixed set of parts that are interfering new or old clutch basket ?
Old 01-24-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
For sure check to see if the clutch retaining nut is loose and if there is play in the main shaft bearings. I think some of the Rekluse kits use an extra thick gasket for additional clearance. Is it possible you have a mixed set of parts that are interfering new or old clutch basket ?
The clutch assembly looks good. No in out or up down bearing play. The basket is in good shape. 40 hrs on the basket. The clutch is not an auto clutch, it's just a stock hydraulic style with new plates, steels and springs. The cover was put on by the last guy because he put a hole in the stock one and I have it with its hole lol. But the way that reklus cover is wearing on the side it's like something has to be going out of round just to hit it. Like it's a big, out of the way cover. The crappy thing is the bike didn't have these problems until the shop did the wiring. I feel like someone may have tapped the flywheel on or off to do the stator work. If so, could that have done a bearing? I sure can't feel any movement by hand and the bike idles and vibrates normal.
Old 01-24-2023, 06:17 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

So you've had the flywheel cover off and the flywheel hasn't picked up something with its magnets? Hmm. Hmmm.

But if you can't feel up and down play (there will be a bit but not a lot). If you put the old clutch cover back on with some tape on it to compare.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 01-24-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
So you've had the flywheel cover off and the flywheel hasn't picked up something with its magnets? Hmm. Hmmm.

But if you can't feel up and down play (there will be a bit but not a lot). If you put the old clutch cover back on with some tape on it to compare.
The first thing I did was pull the flywheel and make sure there was nothing there. No loose stator screws. The pickup is not too close. The noise is from the other side. The basket rubbing the clutch cover is not the source of the noise. Initially I thought it was. What I'm kind trying to do here is figure out if I'm keeping this bike. I've owned it since July and it's been more trouble than any other bike I've had lol. I love the way it rides but it's smokin my wallet. So if that is a noise that I'm going in the case for it's for sale. If I can ride it as is I'll keep it. The lighting harness and ignition wiring was a pain in the butt . I am aware the most euro bikes have crappy wiring so I figured I'd do all that and have a bullit proof bike but it's just not going that way. So I'm in it now today for about 5500 all in. That's about what I can sell it for locally. So if it were a commonly known problem I'd just go for it and fix it. But if I can't figure it out I'll sell it before something really bad happens and I have to open it up. I have receipts and documentation dating back to 2011 when the bike was new. All the shop manuals, parts list, owners manual and KTM pars interchange. So it would be a shame to let it go. I'm freaked that it's a bearing in there. Five bucks for the bearing and 700 to dig it out lol.