Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 AM

You guided me to the correct direction! I just adjusted the clutch freeplay. It was too much. More than 1 cm! I followed the manual for 2-3mm. I am so angry to myself! I am so picky about many things and just did all the work myself with your help and I just don't check some basic small things! I hope tomorrow everything shifts smoothly! It should.

(I changed the 4 bearings (1 was broken and another was stucking), the 2 o-rings and the quite grooved spacer. Everything caused from me (the freeplay..) and a loose flatland skidplate which was causing the shift lever to stuck in every downshift (many false neutrals..) during a local race here in Finland.)

Thank you again so much!!

Leon

Old 08-17-2006, 09:45 AM

Hi again!

I just came back from the forest. Problem remains. It will always go to neutral and then after I try again it shifts to 4th. The same when downshifting. I am so sad now. What could be the reason? I put everything in the correct order and nothing seemed broken or bent. If you can suggest something else please do it. Right now I don't have the power to even check the manual.

Regards,

Leon
Old 08-18-2006, 12:47 AM

How big difference a not installed 18*31.5*0.7 washer can make? Can it be the cause of this problem? For assembly I followed the 2005 EC manual and in the picture there was no washer on any side of the 3-4 gears (this is double/stuck gears moving together by the shift fork). So, I was assembling step by step the gears, bearings and the other washers and in the end the above washer stayed in my hands. In the last steps it couldn't fit even to the shafts. So I thought it cannot cause any problems... but I think it does now. Because it goes to neutral upshift from 2nd or downshifting from 4th, in which side of the gears I should try to fit it if I open the cases?

Do you think this causes the problem? Any other things to check? Should I check something with the engine still on the bike? Like how the "shifters" turn around the drum?

Thank you!

Leon
Old 08-21-2006, 10:52 AM

Hi again!

Problem found. The four side "teeth" (the ones going into the secondary III gear..) of the secondary VI gear are all broken. When I checked two weeks ago it seemed ok to me because I had no experience (even though I found at least two teeth in the cases!)... Now checking with a friend and knowing that the 3rd gear is the problem, it was very obvious. Tomorrow I will know if the dealer has this '98 gear. He has from newer models but there is a small difference and tomorrow he will be sure. If he doesn't have it, I have to wait to come from Spain. Hopefully it won't last forever..!

Thank you for your help!

Leon
Old 08-23-2006, 05:59 AM

Leon,

The major change is that in pre '01, the gears ran on plain bearings. In '01 this was changed to needle bearings. Some gears and the countershaft are different at the very least. If you can afford it and plan to keep the bike, it might pay to do the complete upgrade with all new parts.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:07 AM

Hi!

According to the distributor this secondary VI gear is slightly different so he found for me a secondhand but in good condition complete gearbox for 300€. I will have it tomorrow.
Sometimes I feel that I want to sell the bike especially after this problem with parts availability. But then generally is in great condition and set up very carefully (Ohlins fork, Pro Taper 20mm clamps, a lot of revalving to my taste, etc.) All of my enduro friends with their new bikes (including Miska Aaltonen.. ok, he is amazed of the bike.. not from my speed ) are amazed of this "old" model. I think I keep it for sometime until something really great and much improved comes out from GasGas (anyway it does not lose its value so much anymore). I'll let you know when everything is assembled and working.

Leon
Old 09-04-2006, 04:50 AM

Hi!

Gearbox fixed! Finally! The bike feels like new. Thank you for your help!

Leon