Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 05-25-2008, 11:01 AM

Default How much oil

Manual says 1800cc's but todays ride had it spitting oil out of the breather like it was overfilled. And is there a better dipstick that that flimsy rod that looks like it has oil all over it and you cant even tell the level..

Old 05-25-2008, 02:44 PM

when you take out the dipstick, wipe it off, reinsert and then take a reading. this should give you a clear reading. it also helps if the bike has sat for a few minutes to let the oil settle to the bottom.

FOR THE SECOND TIME 07 EC300 polisport headlight, acerbis taillight ltr pv cover and case saver,trailtech endurance,120z fww, g2 throttle,xr chain puck:
Old 05-25-2008, 08:30 PM

I don't know if a makes a difference, the manual says let it warm up for 3 minutes, then turn off engine and let it sit for 3 minutes, then tip bike up straight and check dipstick.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalefty View Post
I don't know if a makes a difference, the manual says let it warm up for 3 minutes, then turn off engine and let it sit for 3 minutes, then tip bike up straight and check dipstick.
Dunno if you have the dipstick like mine or not but its flimsy and just a bunch of coils not like a car stick. The coils make it hard to read where the oil is cause its the same color as the rod! Especially after a new oil change!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 PM

I have an 04 gasgas fse 450 SM and the oil is impossible to check. I changed the oil the other day and I had no idea how much to put in so I just tried to check and fill and check and fill till it started to show on the rediculous dipstick. Then I started it and then let it sit and put some more in. It was easier to tell the oil level because I was using red motul oil. Expensive but good for the bike and easier to see on that dumb dipstick.
It seems like the reading is never the same from day to day.

Here is a similar question. It seems as if my bike is eating oil or something. After I ride a hundred miles and check the oil the next day it doesn't even register on the dipstick. Stupid resevoir. Is this a big problem? I just check it often and top it off with barely any at all and then it is good to go. Is something wrong with my bike? Other than the fact that the dipstick will read empty after a hundred or more miles the bike is perfect. It only has a thousand miles on the bike. It seems like the whole resevoir dipstick setup is pretty inacurate. Am I wrong? Am I going to fry my engine or have other people encountered this...
Old 08-17-2008, 12:11 PM

I've just reread all the old post's talking about the crankcase hose spitting oil into the efi and aircleaner box, which not only gets burned with your gas, but also oils your airfilter and drains out onto the swingarm and rear wheel etc.
I didn't think other year fse's had this problem. Only the '05's.
I copied my XR440 and plugged the hose connection to airfilter box and ran a longer hose from the crankcase, straight up to the horizontal frame, and then all the way back to the end of left rear panel. Then I added a small breather filter, synthetic so I could clean it in gas or similar. Guess what? It still shoots out of there like nobody's buisness! A couple weeks ago I rode it thru some mountains doing single track and jeep trails. Whenever I got on it, it thru oil out. We stopped for lunch and I was lucky the little restaurant/store had some motoroil. It really spits it out.
I'm gonna contact Bergerhag and see if he is still having success with his remedy. I started my search on page six and kept reading all the way to this page. Good luck, Bob.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1