Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 11-10-2016, 02:11 PM

Default KYB SSS Set up

I just had my KYB SSS forks re-valved by a reputable tuner. He swapped the .42kg springs for .46kg springs.

First ride on re-valved forks last weekend and I am not utilizing all of the fork's travel. The forks are not wiping the last 2-3 inches on the tubes. The forks are harsh in the slower, rocky sections and on square edges.

Oil volume is now 355 cc, whereas I was running 325cc per leg before the re-valve.

I am 180lb without gear. It seems that based on my weight I should be at about a .44kg spring rate.

Can anyone running KYB's chime in on the spring rates and oil level? Also, any issues with running one .42kg spring in one leg, and a .46kg in the other to bring me to .44kg total spring rate?

Old 11-10-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
I just had my KYB SSS forks re-valved by a reputable tuner. He swapped the .42kg springs for .46kg springs.

First ride on re-valved forks last weekend and I am not utilizing all of the fork's travel. The forks are not wiping the last 2-3 inches on the tubes. The forks are harsh in the slower, rocky sections and on square edges.

Oil volume is now 355 cc, whereas I was running 325cc per leg before the re-valve.

I am 180lb without gear. It seems that based on my weight I should be at about a .44kg spring rate.

Can anyone running KYB's chime in on the spring rates and oil level? Also, any issues with running one .42kg spring in one leg, and a .46kg in the other to bring me to .44kg total spring rate?
That sounds like my complaint, I'm 186lbs slow B class. I was at .46 and stock oil level. I'm now .44 and also reduced oil level to try to help use more of the travel and be less harsh. Those changes have helped but I feel it could be better. Our conditions are tight woods single track. The current tuner says they're set up just fine, I'll be trying a different tuner next.
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200
Old 11-10-2016, 03:46 PM

I was experiencing the same. I went to expansion-tanks and opened up my compression, which helped dramatically.

2011 GG EC300

2008 KTM 300 XCW - Rekluse, LHRB
Old 11-10-2016, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

I'm around 77kgs, and I have .45kg/mm and 22Nm ICS springs. With .46kg/mm springs they were too stiff, and even now I think I could either drop to .44 or probably more likely use 20Nm ICS springs.

Only running around 315ml of oil in the outer chambers, but also using a tight float valving setup which also impacts on how quickly you can get through the travel too.

I use quite a bit of my travel, but never really bottom them.

Given that you paid a tuner to set them up for you, they'd be the person to talk to though. The fork as a whole works as an accumulation of individual aspects. You need to consider the whole, and that will depend on what approach the tuner has taken to determine the best way to address the issues.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

No issue with running different springs in each leg either. That's how I'm setup at the moment.

1 x .44 and 1 x .46 for an average of .45kg/mm
Old 11-16-2016, 02:15 PM

RockefellaGG, please could you post some details and photos of your expansion tanks.

Thanks, Harry
Old 11-18-2016, 06:28 PM

Talking

I just did this conversion 2 months ago for my 07. I bought the whole 06 YZ450F front end, sent the forks to LTR, asked him to revalve for mostly rocks/roots but to build in some bottoming resistance if possible. He pulled it off, and I love the setup now. I am 180# without gear, he put a .44 fork spring in, 325cc of 5wt oil. I haven't checked the oil height yet. Les told me to please give him feedback if I needed changes, but I don't think I do.

The KYB SSS eats up the rough stuff *almost* as good as my Zokes did, but I don't bottom out on jumps or drop offs now, and can pound the whoops like Ricky Carmichael. OK, OK, not quite like him, and yes, they are much smaller whoops, but I am more confident with these forks for sure.