Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Trials riders (or anyone, really) input please

I am working on balance on a motorbike. I don't own a trials machine, and my XC300 is a wee heavy and tall for this, so I am using an XR100. I am working on dead-engine balancing in my garage, but it's so difficult (at the moment) that I am wondering if I am going about it the wrong way.

Here's my question- Should I start with dead engine practice, or slow riding as my beginning? I have a small patio out back that is perfect for a figure eight set up, and the bike is dead silent. What provides the best rewards: dead engine or slow moving practice? Any good instructional videos available online?

If this is anything like an oil weight, oil mixture, oil brand, tire brand, tire type, tire pressure, or other charged debate, sorry. I couldn't find anything anywhere to steer me in any direction. Plus, my little girl is sick, it's raining, and mama doesn't get home until this evening. So I'm housebound and bored, too.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Have a look at offroad fanatics on you tube, try are South African enduro junkies and have some great trials crossover instructional vids.

I don't trials ride but I spend a lot of time slow riding against the brakes, doing slow monos, brake sliding (pushing front end until it tucks the letting off the brake) and bouncing my bike over obstacles in my home paddock, it helps no end out bush. I started with a Shane watts video, he has great drills.

Cheers.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 11-17-2012, 05:07 PM

Practice "track-standing" on a bicycle, while you watch TV, in the family room. Same thing, just scaled down. I do this on a fixed gear bike. I think it's easier on my dirtbike. If you fall over(I do it clipped in), It's not as painful, or damaging.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post
Practice "track-standing" on a bicycle, while you watch TV, in the family room. Same thing, just scaled down. I do this on a fixed gear bike. I think it's easier on my dirtbike. If you fall over(I do it clipped in), It's not as painful, or damaging.
Show off. I don't watch TV.

I did the Wattsy class earlier this year, haven't bought any videos yet. Planning on it soon, after I pinch enough pennies for a Smart Carb. I am subscribed to Offroad fanatics, great channel. Those guys are wicked sharp on a bike. Completely jealous. I guess I should start with slow rolling stuff first, then work on fixed dead bike stuff. I have a 20'X30' pad out back, should be perfect for my hooliganism. I guess I get to learn to wheelie an XR100 and try a stoppie. Hm.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Different thickness logs, fixed into ground with cut up star pickets, old tractor tyres full off dirt, 50 bucks worth of large rocks dumped bout 1.5 axel height, all placed with right hand turns and just enough room to land and brake simultaneously. , just say its for "gardening projects"

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 11-17-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
Show off. I don't watch TV.

I did the Wattsy class earlier this year, haven't bought any videos yet. Planning on it soon, after I pinch enough pennies for a Smart Carb. I am subscribed to Offroad fanatics, great channel. Those guys are wicked sharp on a bike. Completely jealous. I guess I should start with slow rolling stuff first, then work on fixed dead bike stuff. I have a 20'X30' pad out back, should be perfect for my hooliganism. I guess I get to learn to wheelie an XR100 and try a stoppie. Hm.
One of these days when work schedules, family obligations, and all the planets align...maybe after the holidays, we need to get you out to give that 300 a workout. We're heading out to the Tahuya swimmin' hole, tomorrow. Maybe this time, I won't perform any acrobatics & tear off my camera
Old 11-17-2012, 07:16 PM

Let some air out of your tires and have a heavy object you can lever the front tire against when starting out with stationary balance.and keep your eyes open for a unicycle if you want to learn quickly in a garage
Old 11-17-2012, 08:10 PM

+1 on the Trials instructional videos, what I have is from Ryan Young, if I remember correctly. There is nothing like actual practice - but the tips they give you can save you a year of trying to figure out what and how to practice correctly!

Jeff
Old 11-17-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
Let some air out of your tires and have a heavy object you can lever the front tire against when starting out with stationary balance.and keep your eyes open for a unicycle if you want to learn quickly in a garage
I do this on my trials bike it also helps to hold the front brake on and turn the front wheel as far as you can to either side. Balance with your legs and arms. Large corrections are done by your legs minor corrections by press on the handle bar. Hope this helps.......Tim
Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerj View Post
+1 on the Trials instructional videos, what I have is from Ryan Young, if I remember correctly. There is nothing like actual practice - but the tips they give you can save you a year of trying to figure out what and how to practice correctly!

Jeff
+1

You will develop bad habits if you don't have instruction
2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public