Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Dual map ignition

I have an EC 250 2006 with a dual map ignition system. I don't know if it is just me but it seems to make no difference. I have tried switching from one position to the other whilst on the road but I can't detect any change. When it is wet I put it on the wet setting and on many occasions during the chaotic riding that follows I have knocked the switch to the dry setting and only notice if I happen to look when I stop to rest. What do you all think?

John

Old 10-08-2007, 11:40 AM

I have the same turbo switch on my 06 300 and my 07 300. If it is muddy and sloppy or just tight trails I always use the rain setting and notice nothing unless I crash or get stuck then I use the excuse that the switch is in the wrong setting. If I know a big hill is coming up and it is dry I change it to sunshine, and whola, I make the hill (ya right) To be honest the only time I notice the diff. is if it is dry, and I have a new pipe and the trail is more open, than I notice my midrange is stronger. but once your pipe is dented, I notice no diff. Just don't let your freinds know it does'nt work!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:28 PM

Thats odd guys. I notice a distinct diff in mine when I'm on the roots or wet rocks. She hooks up more confidently, and is more forgiving when I hit the throttle too hard. Its almost like to motor is electric.

Maybe Ive psyched myself into believing...

Hmmm...

Old 10-08-2007, 06:43 PM

I really haven't been able to tell much difference either but then again it has been so dry around here there hasn't been much of a need for switching.

Quote:
unless I crash or get stuck then I use the excuse that the switch is in the wrong setting
good idea....mind if I borrow that line???
Old 10-08-2007, 06:50 PM

06 300
c rider
there is a very distinct difference between rain and shine on my bike.
all bottom end in rain mode and more mid range when in sun. someone said how the bike is jetted can affect how much diff it feels. I'm old and slow so it's usually in rain mode
Old 10-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Jetting probably does affect the effectiveness of the 2 stage ignition and the seat of the pants feeling between the different settings.
On my 2006 DE 300 there is a distinct difference in each mode. When in the rain mode it feels as if it has been re jetted (fatter) Power does not come on as strong or as fast, it takes it a while to build the rpm's. In sun mode its crisp and clean and snappy and rpm's build much more rapid.

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:37 PM

I have on 06 EC250 & I notice a diff. between the two, the rain setting seems to take the edge off the power band hit & thats the only diff. I notice in the sun setting my bike hits hard enough to get you out of shape in a hurry.It seems like I can ride pretty heavy handed in the rain setting and not worry about it.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 PM

I agree with Link, BUT, the jetting has to be clean. Sloppy jetting can mask any difference in the igbition maps. Also, its more noticable on 300s than 250s.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:57 PM

I notice a difference on my 250. On technical hills the rain mode will allow me to walk to bike up the hill (figuratively speaking) and in the sun mode the bike has a lot more zap in the midrange.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:56 AM

Could a dual map ignition be put on an older bike? I have an 04 300DE & I would like to be able to tone it down a bit in the rough stuff.