Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Clutch Washers

When I installed my new clutch several mothes ago I left out some washers that sit under the clutch springs. They were in the old setup but not shown in the parts manual for the 02 so I left them out. I have noticed a howl from the clutch from time to time lately. Are the thin copper washers supposed to sit under the springs? I am thinking it would load the springs more thus eliminating the howl, any thoughts?

Paul B

Old 04-02-2007, 09:02 AM

Only the washers under the spring bolt heads are shown, and all I remember. Did you start off with fresh springs and plates? Could they be glazed? What oil do you run?
Old 04-02-2007, 01:56 PM

I installed a new basket, boss, preasure plate, springs, plates and discs. It was all new except the aluminum bolt holders for the springs. I took the clutch apart last night and found a significant burr on one of the fingers of the basket. Hopefully a little work with a file on the basket and a couple discs will clear up the clutch noises. My old bike never made any noise from the clutch, and this bike was quite before all the parts were installed. It has made some groaning noises when being abused and the other day it made a couple of screaching noises after I sliped it up a hill several times in a row in quick succesion. I am using the Rottella form the blue bottle, though I did use the non snythetic once by accident. It has been probably 150 miles with the proper Rotella.

Paul B
Old 04-02-2007, 02:33 PM

My '03 had a burr on one of the friction plate fingers that was causing the clutch to drag. I suppose if the burr was such that it could hold the stack apart somewhat overall contact area would be reduced and it could slip, but its just a guess. When you put the new plates in, did you soak them in oil overnight? My '03 occasionally groaned in the worst of conditions, but only for a second or two. The 300 has a bit more motor, so maybe a little more clutch spring preload won't hurt, as long as the pull is still nice. Try the washers, its easy. Either Rotella is fine, the 5W-40W synthetic will probably drag less though.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:50 PM

The washers worked quite well today. I took the bike out for some testing /trail maint. I was able to really abuse the clutch and only once did it groan a little. Much better than it was.

Paul B