Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 PM

Default Who can rebuild a FSE 450 starter? Video with problem

Went to go ride today and this is what happened. Starter will not engage. Lights didn't dim. Relay ok as I have 12.7 volts to the starter. Took it out after I broke my kickstarter.

Video of starter out of the bike: click on the picture

So there are few parts for this bike. Anyone know what or where I can go for help?

I need a new kickstarter also, preferably a longer one, I can only start the bike sometimes with it, but not today. It broke

Does a DRZ 400 fit by chance??

Old 05-03-2013, 03:13 PM

Just ordered both parts for the bike. Oh well, 450 bucks better spent on the bike than drinking.......
Old 05-05-2013, 08:47 AM

I got home Friday night and took my starter apart. The one brush had corrosion and I cleaned it up so it would make contact with the armature. Cleaned everything up and made sure the brush that was "stuck" moved freely. Put it back together and it started right up!

Looks like water got in there and the small spring that holds the brush against the commutator was frozen. I usually start the bike after washing, but didn't this last time.

I also use a 3000 psi steam genny, so that isn't going to happen again. I see where the starter and the electrics for that matter, could leak some water. I am going to modify this design somewhat. I think the electrics are going to get a liberal dose of some RTV sealant around the plastic housing of the electrics, and on the starter. After 10 years , 8 sitting, the black seals/gaskets/O-rings have become weak on the starter. The positive terminal on the starter looked to be the main culprit though. That is where the brushes are.

Called Go Fasters, and the guy removed the e-start from my order. I still needed the kicker, so that is coming.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:01 AM

DRZ kickstart lever does not fit. The tooth pattern is different. Last time I looked at it I thought that using the piece with the teeth from the GG and another longer lever might work.

Since you are going to get another lever, You might want to see if the later model GGs had a longer lever. When I looked at the video on UTUBE of the guy showing how easy it was to kickstart his late model GG I specifically looked to see how long the lever was compared to my 2004 lever. Seemed like it was considerably longer.

Tony
Old 07-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

The GasGas Pampera 250/280 has a longer kickstarter which is steel instead of aluminum. It works great, and is very sturdy. It also won't wear at the pivot like an aluminum starter will do.

A dealer local to you, GoFasters, or www.trialspartsusa.com should be able to get you one.

Stockers Starters can get you the starter body o-rings.

Good Riding and Wrenching!
Jim
'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 12-20-2014, 10:11 PM

I'm glad you solved the issue. i have the same problem. I'll open up the starter next week.

Curious; anyone know if the DRZ starter will fit an '05 GG 450 ??
Old 12-22-2014, 04:23 PM

You can make one starter out of two but drz starter wont be direct swap. I think they spin in different direction.