Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:25 AM

Default New guy here: 2018 EC 300 sixdays

Hi everyone, long time lurker finally registered.
Just bought a low hours 2018 ec300 sixdays after months of research into 300 2-strokes of all makes, I decided on a Gasgas.
I've only ridden it for 2 hours on a local mx flat track, but boy was it an upgrade from my 2005 wr450. Forks are super plush and progressive, bike inspires major confidence.
That all aside, it still has the choke on the bars which I'm guessing is contributing to the hard starts when hot. Also, the starter doesn't work. This may be a bad battery or internal drama not 100% sure yet.

Anywho, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy owning the bike and tinkering away at it. Planning to enter the Nhill pony Express with a mate next month, so that'll be a big test of bike and ability.

Gerard,
Gippsland

Old 06-10-2019, 11:43 AM

Welcome Gez.

The handlebar choke is normally removed and the choke at the carb end has a plunger type mechanism fitted. Easy to do and the plunger is a standard Keihin carb part. If you don't mind the choke as it is, lube the cable and check that the carb end seats correctly.

The starter issues on the 2018 EC models are well known and there are loads of posts on here about it. In short, the dealers retro fitted heavy duty battery cables, replaced the battery for a stronger version and the ecu was replaced. Your local dealer may be able to provide you with these parts.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:38 PM

Thanks Rudolf,
Yeah I have been doing plenty of reading on the subject
Carb plunger ordered. I'll have a play with cabling this week, see if I can't get somewhere with it.